Please help.just put our cat down - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Please help.just put our cat down

Hi there, I have been searching the Internet for days now for some help.
We just put our Lola down. She had incurable cancer and went down hill fast. We took her on Monday to the vet as she was not well. She had fluid in her lungs that they drained and gave her tests. On Tuesday we got the bad news. They told us we could bring her in straight away and put her down but we couldn't do it. They told us that she probably wouldn't make it to Friday.we did not want her to suffer - she was not eating and having trouble breathing and was very weak - so We took took her on Wednesday.She was calm and we carried her in her blanket. I was so happy we didn't have to put her in the box. She was a little alert in the surgery but still calm- she was so weak. The vet ran through the process- 1 needle and it would be over in a minute. Another vet then came in and said he would give her a pre sedative that would take 5 minutes to take effect. They left us with her and I felt her little body start to go heavy- then the nightmare began. She started writhing uncontrollably with her tongue lolling out and she looked terrified. We called out to them and said this is distressing her please just do it! We put her on the table and she kept pulling her leg away. They got the needle in but it was not enough so they had to give her another shot and she was still able to pull her leg away. Finally she went to sleep. It was so traumatising. We had heard so many of our friends tell us how peaceful it was for them and this was far from peaceful.
Sorry for the long post- I guess my question is - why did that happen? Is this normal? Did she have some sort of reaction to the drugs? We are overcome with guilt that this was her last moments and it was so aweful for her. We have lost cats before but never euthanised and the grief and guilt is unbearable. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Cool Cat

First, I am so sorry for your loss.

And also very sorry this happened. I have not heard of this from anyone else myself. I hope someone can give you an answer. The vet had no explanation either?

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Premier Cat

So very very sorry for your loss and the terrible experience you all went through. The survival instinct in some cats is stronger than in others, and I've had cats that knew they were dying, refused to eat and drink, and just peacefully drifted away to the Rainbow Bridge. I remember one cat tho that fought tooth and claw, like a demon. Didn't want to be comforted, writhed around and finally died of heart failure.....he just wasn't ready to go. It seems there are different procedures with vets for euthanizing....sometimes its just one needle, others may use two. Try and not feel guilty, it was not your fault, and the vet thought it would be easier for the cat. It was just one of those unfortunate unforeseen circumstances. I believe we will see our beloved pets in the spiritual world again, that is the consolation of my soul. No love is ever lost, whether between humans or their pets.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 AM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry for your loss, and for the awful experience it ended up being. I don't know of anyone who's had that traumatic an experience, and I can't even begin to guess what happened. I know it's easy enough for others to say, but please try not to feel guilty. As catloverami said, the vets did what they felt was best based on their experience, and there is just no way to predict how any individual kitty (or person) will do with any medical procedure, including euthanasia. As awful as it was, you spared her any lengthier suffering by not waiting any longer.

Hugs to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page