What are the cons / downsides of getting a lion cut for a Persian cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

What are the cons / downsides of getting a lion cut for a Persian cat?

I am familiar with Pros / benefits but are there any reasons people should *not* get a lion cut for their Persian cat?
People talk about cost of the cut and stress associated with taking a cat to a groomer.... but are there any real concerns for the well being of the cat, other than the risk of an accidental cut to their sensitive skin?

Is it generally okay to get a lion cut?
This is what he looks like, he is a 7 year old full blooded Persian:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-16_001.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	113617

Last edited by PersianElliot; 04-19-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't do it because I love long-haired cats. I'd rather take my cat to the groomer and get the matts cut out if that's the issue. Which I used to have to do with two of my cats. I wouldn't get a cat that needs daily brushing unless I was willing to do the brushing myself. It's definitely a commitment.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...ignature2.html
http://www.catforum.com/forum/50-ove...inderella.html
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM
Cool Cat

I only did it for my long haired cat when she started getting more mats due to her becoming more sensitive from arthritis and didn't like getting brushed as much. she pranced around like a princess when it was done. I think she felt REALLY good afterward because nothing was pulling on her skin anymore, too. groomer was so quick and efficient and came to the house so it did not appear to be stressful to my cat - she just seemed a little dazed because it all happened so fast and no nicks or cuts at all!

Maggie
Kitty, Lucy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Very good. So I take it you guys have not heard of any reasons against a lion cut, other than personal preference / cost. Thank you.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Persian cats are double coated and there are several reasons not to shave them. The undercoat provides insulation and regulates the body temperature. It helps keep the cat cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Shaving a cat in the summer will actually make it hotter, not cooler as many people believe. If your cat goes outside or even sits in an open window, it will be more susceptible to sunburn and possible skin cancer because the skin is more exposed because the guard hairs (outer layer of the coat) have been drastically shortened. In addition, as a cat ages, the guard hairs may not grow back, the coat can end up clumpy and/or balding. Keep your cat well groomed, don't allow mats to form and he will do fine in the heat. My Holly is a Maine Coon with the thickest, longest coat I've ever seen. I have central air conditioning and a screened porch. On a 95 degree day Holly can be found out on the porch, not in the house.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for posting. Would you happen to know of any links to a knowledgeable discussion or web pages by reliable sources on this topic... I would just like to read more, you make valid points. I do not have (any) experience with cats or pets. Layman's question: other than shaving the cat, do people give them hair cuts that do not cut off the under coat since you say they are double coated?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Kitten

What are the reasons you would want to get the cut?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Due to the fact that he has so much fur and such a long fur. The adoption place said that he may need furball formula because he was coughing up a lot of hairballs, they said. Would like to help with hairballs, the amount of fur that he is ingesting. Might be a little more sanitary.... I am open minded, just need sources of opinions on this topic in order to make a decision on what to do.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Premier Cat

Brushes don't do a good job of grooming a Persian.....a metal comb of polished steel, with tines wider apart on one side of the comb, and closer together on the other side. Yes, you need to groom every day....not a big job, and mats don't form if you do it daily. Here's a couple of sights with some good tips:

Purrinlot | Grooming a Persian Cat - Grooming help - to teach you to Groom Persian Cats!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by marie73; 04-19-2017 at 11:15 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Wow. Maggie gave a good reason for the cut (I would have done the same in her position), and Doodlebug gave excellent reasons not to. And you're asking for links for a more knowledgeable discussion? Unbelievable. It seems that you just want permission to cut the hair of a cat you don't want to comb every day. I'm sure the person who gave you the cat told you about the commitment you to make as far as grooming is concerned.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...ignature2.html
http://www.catforum.com/forum/50-ove...inderella.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page