Hello from GA! Desperate for CKD Cat Support - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Red face Hello from GA! Desperate for CKD Cat Support

Hello from Augusta, GA

I just wanted to say hello and I thought I would take the chance and give the rundown as to why I'm here, just in case someone reads it tonight. I'm losing my mind a bit (anxiety, it'll make sense if you read on...)

My name is Alexis! My husband and I are proud parents of two cats. A Orange Tabby--"Wolsey", and a Grey and White Short Hair.--"Pinter-Paws".

I found this awesome forum in search of those who may have past experience with CKD Cats. My poor little Pinter is a CKD kitty. And now that he's in his 7th year, we may be dealing with a whole new ballgame. We almost lost him a couple weeks ago, and did not even see it coming. This happened one time before when he was 6 weeks old, but made a miraculous recovery at the Animal Hospital.

Unfortunately, no Veterinarian ever explained anything about CKD to us, nor that we could have been preventing this for a long time now. His BUN level was extremely high, but he has been improving the past 2 weeks and tomorrow we see what his bloodwork is truly at. Either way, I am pledging to learn how to give him Subq's at home, because it seems like they do him a great deal of good---and now that its been a week since he last had them, he has started to get much more lethargic. Thankfully, he has not stopped eating or drinking.

Our baby is a fighter, and we're going to fight for and with him to make sure he gets the best of the best. This includes us looking for a new VET ASAP. One that wants to sit down and actually talk about a plan and what's best for our baby. I'm scared tomorrow's numbers will not be much different, or god help us, worse--but I've heard that when it comes to CKD, treat the cat and NOT the numbers. And if I am making sure our baby is getting subq's on a regular basis, maybe another miracle could happen. At least that's what we're praying for.

I've done so much research in all the major places online, but there is so much to take in, you feel overwhelmed and you just want to hug them back to health. It's hard when your kitty shows a lot of improvement, but online research says "you really can never tell just how close death's door is just by how they look". And then I want to hide under the bed.

So, if anyone is reading this tonight, or tomorrow. Pray for our baby Pinter. He's a tiny 7year old White and Grey Kittie who, at certain times in my life, was the most important companion I had. We ignorantly adopted him far too young, so he's a much more stubborn kitty---doesnt like to share with other cats, and is much more alpha. But all of these things make him so wonderful.

Thank you, to anyone who reads this.

Any kind of support right now is a blessing when you're losing your mind over your baby in a city of people you don't know, 7 hours from any family other than your husband---who works literally all day. (Sigh, these last two weeks have wrecked me).

I've attached some pics of both Wolsey and Pinter for you all---Including a few of Pinter the day he was adopted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 3.22.05 AM.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	114385  

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 3.21.16 AM.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	114393  

Name:	247864_516364795806_6212295_n.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	114401  

Name:	IMG_1740.jpg
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	114409  

Name:	IMG_3611.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	114417  

Name:	IMG_5383.jpg
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	114425  

Name:	IMG_5111.JPG
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	114433  

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	114441  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:19 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Alexis! What sweet boys they both are! And it looks like they're best buddies.

How is Pinter doing? And what did the bloodwork show? I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis - he is quite young to be a CKD kitty! I have one too, a little old lady (16.5 years old, diagnosed last December).

You are certainly doing all of the right things by getting yourself educated and taking charge of Pinter's health. As you probably know, kidney disease is irreversible, but kitties can live for years if it's managed well. I'm dreading the day that I may need to administer subQ fluids. If you need to do that at home, there are people here who have done it and who can give you some pointers.

One invaluable website is Tanya's Guide. If you haven't run across it yet, it has an incredible amount of information, including lists of the phosphorus content of wet foods (and of dry, but CKD kitties shouldn't be eating dry). I used it to change my kitty's food to a lower-phosphorus one.

There are, unfortunately, too many of us who know what you're going through. Just hang in there and count on us for support!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Cat

Hello!

My 20 year old meezer had renal failure at the end of her life. She was a spitfire. I did not give her the diet. I gave her whatever she wanted to eat, but added water. A friend of mine who is a PA for humans told me kidney disease is basically dying of thirst. I put water in all her food (she was on Wellness moist), put extra water dishes out, and turned on the faucets for her (this was before the pet fountains, or I would have bought her one. I loved that cat!)

I could not give her the sub Q fluids at home. I brought her to the vet twice a week for them. She hated them and it took four vet techs to hold her down. Sometimes I wonder why I put up such a fight since she hated it so much. She was 19 when diagnosed, at 7, I would fight much harder. That is so young!

Best of luck to you and Pinter. Enjoy every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Jr. Cat

Some websites with great cat health information.

catinfo.org

catnutrition.org

Hana Hiro Hadow and Hocky, Mommy and Daddy will love you forever!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:14 AM
Cool Cat

Beautiful cats.

Maisie has CKD too. He's a bit older than your cat (he's about to turn 12) but he's on the younger side for kidney issues too.

I think that you'll find that the sub q fluids make a big difference. They helped Maisie a lot.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page