Cat diarrhea - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat diarrhea

My Hockey and Hadow the brothers are constantly having diarrhea here n there throughout the years since I have them four years ago.

Background:
I have four kitties and only the brothers have the problem. Their privous owner used to feed them dry food until I have them (Hadow and Hockey the brothers). When they first arrived in my house and already have the problem. All my kitties are on homemade raw chicken diet so I changed them to my homemade raw diet as well. I have them for four years now. Weird thing is that they are still eating fine, energetic and look healthy. They did not lose weight from diarrhea.. and their coats have greatly improved from my raw diet.. I have tried adding pumpkin to the food hoping it would help to bulk to poop up but failed..

My issue is that the poop will stick to their but and soil the house..

I am taking Hockey to doctor tomorrow since he would poop outside of litter box when he has diarrhea but I am wondering anyone knows why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Just to add more things I have tried and failed..

Probiotics
Fortflora
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Since you're other cats don't have an issue after 4 years, that says it's not a parasite problem. Chicken is one of the most common food allergens in cats. I would try a different protein (not turkey, they're too closely related).

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Kitten

Vets were completely useless for me. Four trips, two vets, nothing helpful, maaaaassive expense. Probiotics and powdered pumpkin supplement did nothing.

Against their suggestion, I just switched to this, and problem solved:

You can see a ton of reviews there that are positive, and they aren't fake reviews per Fakespot: http://fakespot.com/product/stella-c...d-food-for-cat

Maybe it will work, maybe not, but worth a try. Because it can take a while for irritation to subside, I'd give it a week or two before considering it also a failure if you do try it.

Edit: Oh BTW, because I have left over pumpkin powder, I do put a tiny bit in the bowl with the dehydrated Duck Duck Goose stuff, and I make it quite soupy and allow it to hydrate for about 2-mins with slightly warm water. They gobble it super quick, and helps to know they get plenty of liquid that way, as they lick all the water which absorbs the flavor too.

Last edited by Jessica Smith; 05-10-2017 at 03:25 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:39 AM
Kitten

This might me some food intolerance, try with different options. I found this poop color and shape article interesting
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you for the generous replies! Really appreciate it.

I agree with Jessica Smith.. My vet did nothing helpful at all... He just asked me to change his food to Hill's I/D "prescription" diet and told me he is strongly against raw diet.. Well he is an old typical vet so I kind of already knew what he would said before I went..

So I did more research on IBD (I think Hockey has very minor IBD) and came across this website Probiotics ? IBDKitties. Even though I mentioned that I tried probiotics before and failed, as I read through it more carefully and learned that I did not give Hockey "enough" amount of concentration. For therapeutic effect, an adult cat needs to have at least 20 billion of CFU per day... The probiotics I gave him before was human grade BUT one pill only contains 100 million CFU and the way I gave was only sprinkling whatever amount to their food (I smashed all the pills in a bottle making them into powder)

This time I just bought another bottle of probiotics where each capsule contains 20 billion CFU. I will give it another try..

Will report back the progress and if it works..

Hana Hiro Hadow and Hocky, Mommy and Daddy will love you forever!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

As someone who has had 2 IBD cats and a 3rd with a fish intolerance and generally sensitive stomach...I would be very surprised if more potent probiotics have any measurable effect in this situation. From the article you posted: the cause of the gut dysbiosis (often diet and use of antibiotics being primary culprits among many potential causes) must also be addressed. Probiotics are important, but not a cure-all; they address one specific problem, but not the set of circumstances that created that problem. At a minimum, diet must also be addressed.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I am trying one thing at a time. My kitties are minor IBD only. I have been feeding Hockey potent probiotics for two days and so far so good.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

@doodlebug

The reason I chose to try probiotics first is because I don't have other protein options but chicken.. due to either cost or my personal fear (I don't think I can do rabbit or rat..). And I am really reluctant to feed commercial store bought diets as I am used to making my own food and be able to know 100% what I am feeding to my kitties. Store bought diets can also get too expensive..

But I still appreciate ur suggestion.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

From this article, aside from probiotics, three points should be addressed

1) Feed a fresh, human grade, biologically appropriate diet <-Which I am doing it already. Its just being chicken as protein....
2) Minimize the use of antibiotics <-I am not using antibiotic to Hockey and I have never used it before to him either. He has never been that sever that require antibiotic to control.
3) Use human grade probiotics<-I have started doing it

Another thing I am very curious.. So are your IBD kitties slim or chubby? Hockey is 19lbs big boy.. and his ideal weight should be 15lbs.. and Even with his minor IBD (I would say its been going on for as long as the first day I have him), he did not drop any weight at all... LOL. See picture for my two chubby boys and a slim girl. <3 (Hockey is on the back black and white one.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170124_210925.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	114585  

Hana Hiro Hadow and Hocky, Mommy and Daddy will love you forever!

Last edited by marie73; 05-17-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page