Should I switch food or wait? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Should I switch food or wait?

So I found my newest kitty in between my pay weeks. I had to buy her food and could only afford to get the fancy feast kitten food(wet). I want to switch her to what I have feisty on but she hasn't even been on the fancy feast a week and I am not sure if I should switch her food again so soon. She has had diarrhea for the past 2 days but other then that has been perfectly healthy. I figure it is from the food switch and the stress of being dumped.

Any advice in this is welcome!

I would also like some opinions on the food I will be switching her to. I currently have feisty on merricks purrfect bistro grain free but was thinking of switching them both to earthborn and I don't know a lot about that brand so any comments on that are also welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Cool Cat

Have you had her to the vet for a checkup, shots, worming, blood tests? This is important, to find out her base health level. I'd prefer to spend my $$ on a vet bill and worry about food choices much later in the game. Perhaps you've already posted all this information and I missed it... I'm really good at that! (Is this the Walmart dumped black kitten?)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

It is and she will be going to the vet next week (soonest I could get in) to have a full checkup and get her shots started

Last edited by marie73; 05-17-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:25 PM
Kitten

Maybe just baby food until then? Anything without onions/garlic. Or boil a boneless chicken breast and let her go to town after you shred it. Limit her amounts as strays are used to downing their meals. You're probably correct in the change of scenery/food.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I think I am just going to leave her on the fancy feast until after her visit to the vet. Her diarrhea is worse today sadly it has gone from really soft to pretty much liquid and mucus:'(. I don't wanna cause her more digestive issues at the moment. I think I will call the vet tomorrow and see if they have had any cancellations so she can be seen sooner.

Last edited by marie73; 05-17-2017 at 03:19 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:00 AM
Kitten

In the meanwhile you can try chicken and probiotics
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I will pick up some probiotics tomorrow, I didn't even think to try that. Well the vet still can not get her in until next Tuesday so hopefully her diarrhea will get better.

Last edited by marie73; 05-17-2017 at 03:19 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Cool Cat

How is the kitten doing today?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She still has diarrhea but I did talk to my vet. She said to go ahead and switch her food and see if a different food helps her out. So I will pick her up some today and give it a try.

Last edited by marie73; 05-18-2017 at 03:38 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Cat Addict

This must be so hard for you - I am beginning to appreciate my vets more than I used to - they always slot in "emergencies". I'd hate to wait that long with a rescued kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page