Cat Lymphoma, Dietary Help Please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat Lymphoma, Dietary Help Please

I have a sweet Siamese cat named Sniffles, coming up on 9 years old. The vet thinks he has lymphoma. I do not want to put him through things like biopsies and chemotherapy so I have been working on quality of life for him. He goes to the vet once a month for Methylprednisoloneand B12. Last month we met with the vet to kind of get a status check. He weighed in at 6 lbs. 8 oz. which actually was pretty good, even though he's very skinny at that weight. He fluctuates up and down a few ounces usually. The vet said she would start to worry more if he's loosing several ounces in a month or gets below 6 lbs. Today, a month later, he weighed in at 6 lbs. 2 oz., so a loss of 6 oz. and near that 6 lb. mark. I have been trying so hard to get his weight up since this all began but today is the first big loss like that in a month. He gets the usual breakfast and dinner with his kitty mates but I also give him a special meal mid day. It is usually something like chicken, turkey (his favorite), fish, or ham. I have also tried kitten food (canned), anything that he'll eat that might put some weight on him. It feels like a losing battle and I just can't think of other things to give him that might put some weight on. He does eat so it's not like he just isn't taking in food and water because he is. It would seem that his body just isn't absorbing and adding on the ounces. I know this is basically a death sentence over his head, which I try not to think about because I just adore him. My purpose here is to ask if any of you have suggestions on other things I can try that might help him gain weight? The vet did tell me that unfortunately what sounds like a good idea for a food item isn't always, that it's hard to know what's irritating his system and what isn't. I'm willing to try whatever I can to help him with this weight issue. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Cat Addict

I think you are wise being led by what you see your cat likes (you know him best and are concerned with his quality of life). Has your vet made any concrete suggestions about what to avoid?

Showing my ignorance but is Methylprednisoloneand B12 a steroid? When our Oz developed lymphoma when he was very young, steroids did help.

We talked about it with our vet and we also rejected chemo based on his advice.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Cool Cat

What kind of lymphoma? Small cell/large cell?
A friend of mine has a cat with small cell lymphoma, she's feeding a novel protein as well as probiotics to help digestion. They are treating their cat with chemo though, so might not be too helpful to you. Small cell is much less aggressive generally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

I've had 2 cats with inflammatory bowel disease and believe that one progressed to digestive lymphoma. We didn't test as treatment wasn't going to be any different. B12 in addition to the pred is a good approach. I would add probiotics and digestive enzymes as these make it easier to digest and absorb food. I like the Animal Essentials brand. Wet food is easier to digest than dry. Small meals, more often. I was feeding Callie 6 times a day. I'd use proteins that he hasn't had before, avoid chicken and turkey, maybe even beef. Fish oil is an anti-inflammatory. Bone broth is wonderful stuff...either make your own or Honest KItchen makes a powdered version you can just add water to. It's also available frozen, I believe Whole Foods carries it. Also had Kobi on chlorambucil. It's a chemo drug. It really helped his IBD, but eventually he developed kidney failure and I believe it was from this drug. No other side effects though. However, he couldn't take pred....it caused congestive heart failure, so the chlorambucil was a last ditch effort. When we started it the vet and I figured he'd be gone within a few months if we didn't do something different. It gave him 18 months more.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sniffles is so frail now that I really don't think he could handle chemo and I just didn't want to put him through all that. My vet gave it as an option but it was my decision without any input really from her. However, I think she agreed with my decision. I want him to live of course but I don't want it to be a miserable existence.

Last edited by marie73; 05-22-2017 at 08:09 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

[QUOTE=zuma;2854625]What kind of lymphoma? Small cell/large cell?
A friend of mine has a cat with small cell lymphoma, she's feeding a novel protein as well as probiotics to help digestion. They are treating their cat with chemo though, so might not be too helpful to you. Small cell is much less aggressive generally

The lymphoma diagnosis has not actually been confirmed because it would require more invasive testing. But, she is pretty sure from what tests have been done and his symptoms that it is lymphoma. When his allergies started it was suggested that I try novel proteins and I did but it didn't seem to help. I haven't looked into probiotics though so I'll do that. I did order a Nutri-cal paste which is supposed to be high in calories, vitamins, minerals and omegas. I don't know that he'll eat it but I'll try. Also, I have an Instant Pot and plan to try making some plain live culture yogurt for him which I'll add tuna to most likely. Supposedly that can help with "dietary intolerance" and of course is a source of calcium.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

@doodlebug

My vet said the same thing, that Sniffles likely progressed to the lymphoma, that the treatment would be the same regardless of whether we had an actual confirmed diagnosis. There is no cure so it's just managing it and of course for me the diet thing has been the hardest part. Which Animal Essentials formula do you buy? Plant Enzymes and probiotics? And does that take care of both the probiotics and digestive enzymes that you recommended? I was looking on Amazon.com and saw that one. I saw the Honest Kitchen on Amazon too so I think I'll try that but will try and get some soup types of bones next time I shop. Did you just give the broth to Kobi straight or did you mix it in with other food? Sniffles seems to like turkey most of all so I don't know that I want to cut it out since it's the one thing he will usually eat. Costco has boneless turkey breasts that he likes so I usually get a couple of those and keep one in the fridge while I freeze the others so I'm never out of it. But, I'll see if I can find alternative proteins. Do you have a preferred brand or source for that? Did it matter which type of fish oil? I have seen like salmon fish oil, Icelandic etc. Sniffles has been on steroids for so long now that there may come a time they don't work anymore. I guess I will have to deal with that if it happens, although I'm not quite sure I'll know when it does. With his recent weight decline, perhaps it already has. Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions!

Last edited by marie73; 05-22-2017 at 08:10 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the AE Plant Enzymes and Probiotics is the product I've used. Tasteless, just mix with wet food. If you want to make bone broth yourself here's a tutorial: Bone Broth Is Excellent Nourishment for Older Pets You can serve it by itself or mixed in food. The collagen in it is very good for healing of the gut (and just good in general). Salmon oil is a good choice. Get one made for pets as it's made palatable for them. Grizzly or Wholistic Pet are good.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well, I have the AE Plant Enzymes and Probiotics, Grizzly salmon oil and the Honest Kitchen bone broth on the way. I appreciate the link to the bone broth recipe. I think I'm going to learn how to make it in my Instant Pot which will be much faster. I'm also going to try and make some active ingredient yogurt for him, also in the IP. Hopefully these things will help! Thanks again!

Last edited by marie73; 05-23-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page