Cat Forum banner

Advice on food trial and error!

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  spirite 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have some questions/need input about foods to help with Inflamatory Bowel Disease.

We took in a stray cat almost 2 years ago. When we first got her she had chronic diarrhea. We had scheduled a vet check up because we wanted to make sure she wasn't pregnant and wanted to get her spaded in case we couldn't keep her. First few days thought maybe it was the way and what she ate from living on the streets outside, she had been around for about 3 months in the neighborhood. Vet checkup turned out already spaded, and vet stated she could possibly have IBD due to her tummy being a little swollen and the chronic diarrhea. (Little belly was really round thought she was pregnant). She was not tested for this, given some meds and it calmed down. The only signs was the diarrhea and chunkiness. Vet recommended a special diet for the IBD to weed out what she was reacting to. When I first took her in my cats were eating Purina One Sensitive Systems. Seemed to do ok with that after the vet shot. But vet advised special food and recommended prescription Royal Canine Select Protein, she HATED it, refused to eat. So someone suggested try grain free so I switched to Authority grain free and she did well on that, and all my other cats ate it too. (I have 3 total and they are all "grazers" when it comes to dry food, there when they want it). So they all liked the Authority. After a few months I switched to Purina Beyond Grain free (just for the change) and they all really love that a lot. So she has been on the Beyond Grain Free for well over a year now and has done really well.

About a month ago she started vomiting ALOT. Not daily but every other day, and several times a day when she did. No other signs, no diarrhea no weight loss, nothing just the vomiting. Took her to the vet, the vet thinks it could be the IBD flaring up IF she does have this, she gave her a shot, we have had no issues since then. In the meantime in the last month I mixed in some Science Diet Sensitive Stomach rice and egg, they seemed to like it ok, but only mixed a small bag in their already grain free they were eating. The vet had suggested when I was there to try prescription science diet D/D duck or venison. They didn't have any at the time so I did sensitive systems. As I was looking in PetSmart last week, I was looking over Blue Buffalo and found Blue Basics Turkey and Potato and it was Grain Free. (I head a lot of times Chicken is the cause to flare IBD). So I thought hey...grain free...PLUS no chicken lets try this and see if maybe it is the chicken ingredient, I know it is trial and error to weed out the cause of what ingredient is causing the flare ups. They ALL absolutely hated the Blue Buffalo. Wouldn't touch it....I mixed it in their food the correct way, they ate around it, and when out of mix, I gave them straight BB and wouldn't touch it for 2 days....I couldn't stand it any longer with them not eating so I went back to the Beyond Grain Free.

So....all that being said (thanks for the patience of reading all that), what are your thoughts/comments/suggestions? Keep in mind she has not been "officially" diagnosed with the IBD, I read and the vet also said there is a lot of testing to do to determine that is what it is, there is no simple test for it. She has had only had that one flare up since I have had her (will be 2 years in Oct).

What is the difference between sensitive systems cat food and the plain ole duck and potato and venison and potato? Just more ingredients? Anyone had any luck with sensitive system foods with IBD? Or is it a must to use only prescription foods? I absolutely do NOT want to do a raw diet, I know a lot of people swear by it and love it, it is just not something I want to do with my cats.

I trust my vet she has always been dead on with anything she has diagnosed with my animals. I guess part of me is hoping she does not have the IBD since she only shows one sign here and there, not the multiple diarrhea, vomiting, weight loss etc with the disease and she has done so well on the grain free for over a year then that one little spell. Should I keep her on what she is on, keep trying others? I just don't want her to be miserable. I only imagine with the IBD if she does have it how it would make her feel uncomfortable being swollen and miserable.

She (Sadie) is about 6 yrs old, otherwise healthy and no other medical issues. She is a calico with amazing markings, her pics are here with this post.

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Aw, what a beauty she is!

When she was vomiting, was the food digested or was she throwing up soon after eating with the food coming up looking exactly like it did when it went down? If the latter, that often happens if kitties eat too fast. Do you free feed them?

I don't have any experience with IBD, but other members do, so I hope they'll be by to give you some advice. I'm pretty sure, though, that you shouldn't waste your money on the expensive prescription food.

It's so hard to predict what any given kitty will like. With the BB, you don't know if they object to the turkey or to some other ingredient. You could try a different protein, same brand, or same protein, different brand. You cannot believe how many brands I went through when I tried to get my fussy one onto a completely canned diet. :roll: Some brand options: Natural Balance, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Dave's all make grain-free limited ingredient diets (though I'm not sure there's a dry version of Dave's). I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I know offhand.

#3 ·
Thanks Spirite ......it was a little of both, mostly it was not chunks and it was soon as well as later after eating. They are all grazers I call it, dry food left in their bowls at all times. They all do love the beyond grain free they have been on, they eat that well, and for the last year Sadie did well on it too only that one episode last month with the vomiting. I would like to just leave them on what they like.....I am just worried that if Sadie DOES have the IBD, then I am adding to the problem by giving her food that causes it. Its so hard to distinguish between sensitive systems and other stuff it gets confusing!

#4 ·
Is IBD caused by stress, or are the reasons unknown? It can be really frustrating to try to figure out what's going on, because so many conditions share the same symptoms.

Well, since she has access to food all the time, it doesn't seem like it would be due to eating too fast, unless there's some tension among the kitties, and someone's not letting her eat? Does it seem like their dynamic has changed?

You asked about the ingredients for sensitive stomachs v. the limited ingredient diets. I really don't know, but I think pretty much all of the expensive prescription diets have worse ingredients than higher quality brands. It makes me mad how much some of the prescription diets cost - especially given the low quality of their ingredients, like meat by-products.

I don't know if I'd change the food right now, since she did so well for so long. Also, if you keep changing the food, that might make things worse, so maybe wait and see if there's another episode before you change anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.