Cat Forum banner

Flea pills versus skin application

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  marie73 
#1 ·
Both my cats seem to have little small circular spots of fur missing on their necks below the back of the head where I would put Revolution or Advantage. One cat blinks his eyes like they sting after I put it on and it must sting because they both know immediately that I am going to do it and protest and run. I started using Advantage on one and both have lost fur where I apply it. I heard there are pills. Which is less poisonous to the cat? I only use any flea treatment in the summer even though they go outside. I never have seen a flea on them but if they scratch a couple times over a couple of days, I start the treatment.

#2 ·
I know that can be a side effect, though I never saw it with my kitties. Does the fur grow back right away? Each of the flea meds that you apply on the skin uses a different chemical, so maybe you could try Frontline to see if it's different?

The only pill that I know of is Capstar, but it's not preventive. It'll kill fleas that are already on a kitty, but it won't kill flea eggs. I gave it to both of my girls that time the stray brought in fleas, but I had to follow up with Revolution.

There's Seresto, which is a collar (but maybe it comes in different forms now?). I think lasts longer, 6 or more months.

Those are the only ones I'm familiar with.

#3 · (Edited)
Comfortis is what my girls get when fleas are an issue. I get it from Hoof an Hound in Australia, it's cheaper and you don't need a prescription.

#5 ·
A friend of mine is using the Seresto collar with good results. I may try that next time, cheaper and easier than a pill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.