Weird Behavior after Spaying- Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Weird Behavior after Spaying- Help!

Hi! This is my first post to this forum, I found it after trying to find the answer to this question on line..here goes.
My girlfriend just picked up her cat from being Spayed. I know the cat will probably not be herself right after, but this cat is acting very weird, and it worries me a little.

The cat is walking around like it is drunk, stumbling over everything, not really aware of it's surroundings, looking around at a frantic pace, pupils dialated, etc. This I could probably attribute to the anesthia they gave her. The thing thing that worries me is the sides of her stomach are VERY sunken in, her thighs stick out about an inch and a half farther than her stomach. I have never seen a cat act so weird after spaying, most that I have seen just lay down and sleep it off. This one doesn't lay down or sleep, just wonders around stumbling over everything and looking around. Another thing that worries me is that she took the cat to one of the "budget" places..she paied about 60 dollars for the spay (Which i was wary of) Is the cats behavior something i should worry about? The cat is about 10 months old.

While i'm here there is something else going on that I do not understand. My girlfriend has another cat (1.5 yr old), which is treating the spayed one like a stranger, Tail flared out, taking swats, hissing. Is this normal? Once we saw the behavior we separated the 2, but I am curious if anyone else has seen this.

Thank you for any help!
stopthepain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2003, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

One question for you, did the cat stay at the clinic overnight or was the spay done today?

If it was done today it sounds as though she wasn't given enough time to "come out of it" at the clinic and sounds like she is displaying the normal signs of a cat comming out of the effects of anesthesia. You should probably either confine the cat to a crate or cat carrier and keep a close eye on her or put her in a small quiet room where she can continue to wake up peacefully. You want to keep her activity level very low at this time or you run the risk of her stretching the incision and possibly pulling the sutures out.

As for the other cat reacting in such a way towards her that is completely normal. To the other cat she probably doesn't smell the same and even the way she's acting could frighten the other cat. I would keep them separated at this time as well.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Still Worried

The spay was done sometime today, she did not stay overnight. I am keeping the two cats apart for now. I am really worried anout her sides being sunken in, as she is normally a little "fatter" looking for her size. The doctor said not to feed her til tomorrow, but she looks so thin. Is this just a side effect of the medicine or anesthesia or should I be worried?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-01-2003, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Hmm, about her stomach looking like it's sunken in, the only thing I can think of is that's just how she's holding since she doesn't have much control over herself right now. I would give her till tomarrow and see how she looks then after she's recovered.

I agree with the vet on not feeding her or giving her any water tonight. She might get sick. In the morning I'd offer her about half of her normal portion and if she can hold that down alright, I'd give her some more later in the day.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you Jessica! You have been very helpful with easing my mind!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I had the EXACT same thing happen to two cats I had. Sadie, the female, didn't act drunk though, because we left her over night. Her sides were sunk in because I mean, hey, they just took alot of stuff out of her! Ovaries and Uterus I believe....Oh and the other cat thing? Anytime we bring a pet home from the vet, they have that "vet" smell. Murphy attacked Sadie for so long, that we thought we were going to have to give him a new home. But after some reassuring and supervised visits, all went back to normal.

PS....I was really concerned about Sadie's sides. The vet told me that will happen with any animal you get spayed and it should clear up in a few weeks. Basicly, her body will put on weight to fill the area, so, no worries!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

yup, the sunken sides thing is normal, and as for the 'drunken' effect, i'd agree and say the anesthesia hasn't worn off. just keep a close eye on her and give her extra love!
marwood71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you all for your replies! You all have been very helpdul. I'm glad to say Sass is sleeping soundly now and seems to be a lot better than before. We still have the 2 cats separated and probably will for the next few days. .
Thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement