Post spayed care - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2003, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Post spayed care

Whelp she's home now and REALLY drugged up!

Clinic said water after 7pm, honestly I don't think she'll even be doing anything by that time - kinda has me worried since they also said due to age/size (12-14 weeks/3lbs) that kittens will NEED just a handful of food after 9pm to keep blood-suger level up.

I'm tempted to check on her so often, but want her to get rest & sleep.

She'll be staying in bathroom to litterbox train. She was meeeeeeoooooow'ing when they brought her out of the clinic and put into carrier cage. Kept very quiet on the ride home. I open the carrier now and she'll just look at me like she's drunk hehe trying to keep eyes open but can't... so I'll check every hour to see how's she coming along. Could be a long night, but I want to be there when she starts finally "waking up"

Anyone remember how it went with their kitty after being spayed?
ralphcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2003, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I had my cats spayed at the vet's, so they were wide awake and seemed just about normal when I took them home. The vet kept them overnight, however. I hope Jessica sees this. She works with a vet, and would be able to advise you. It sounds to me as if kitty is in the "recovery room" stage. I'm glad she's home, Daddy! I'm think time will make a big difference.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The vet probably gave her a pain shot and thats why she is drowsy. Thats normal. She will eat and drink when she's ready just make sure she's has her food and fresh water really close so she doesn't have to walk far. Don't be affraid to play with her just don't let her jump and don't pick her up from under the belly. Keep a close eye on her and comfort her.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

I would think after major surgery like this they would keep them over-night too, but nope.

I've been checking on her, still mostly "out of it" from the drugs. Still keeping in carrier cage now since first couple times she was sleeping and could barely stay awake. Last time she did come too a little more and yawned with a very dry sticky mouth, so tried to take her out and show her water but she clung to the towel like scared so put her back in. Wet my fingers and put up to mouth, but didn't lick em or anything so maybe she's ok for now.

Left the cage door open this time w/water right outside, so next time will see if she ventured out or still hanging out inside.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I wouldn't worry. Just let her sleep. If you had a surgery like that I'm sure you wouldn't want to be woken up. She'll sleep it off and when she wakes she'll be a little sore but just be gentle with her and she'll be fine. I'm sure your vet gave you a paper with post op instructions and what to look for such as infection.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Yup, I need to inspect the area often. Also bought this spray called Bitter Apple that you can apply if they start to lick or bite around the soreness to keep em from hurting themselves.

One the reasons I was so attracted to her was her playfulness. She was in a cage all alone at the shelter and would toss around and tumble on her own, one time playing with a litter pebble like it was a ball... I know once she gets some energy she'll be jumping around, so she might have to spend some time in the cage if she gets too active too fast. I got some white towels laying down so should be able to see if any blood from stitches.

You'll probably see this post being updated til 2-3am
Old 07-07-2003, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Ralph, Just keep your eyes open for infection and relax. The vet has done many, many surgeries like this. Give her time to get well and settle in. She'll soon be tearing around the house. She's young, she'll be disoriented for a while, and uncomfortable, just as you or I would be.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I put just a lil bit of food outside the open cage right by water, hour later it was all gone... so I'm glad she ate something.

Last time I peeked in, she was stretching out a bit and looked like she was happy to see me! put my hand near her and heard some purring

Back half of her is real skinny as can be expected. Saw a lil bit of licking and put some of that bitter apple stuff on, of course she didn't like to be sprayed. Tried to lick again and even saw a bitter face like yuck! = so it works.

After she slowly walked out of the cage, I noticed spot of towel darker - pee pee'd a lil so things inside going out must be working hehe.

Gave her some luvin, and the meows are starting let's see how much litter she tosses around while I'm sleeping!
Old 07-07-2003, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

awe Im glad she's eating. My thoughts are with you tonight and I'll pray for a speedy recovery!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

I think she's coming around OK now. Later last night and this morning everytime I checked she was inside her carrier, leaving door open and as soon as she see's me she comes right out not scared or anything anymore.

They said today I can start normal feeding 3-4 times/day. As soon as she saw some food she started gulping it down so fast I could hear tummy trying to keep up. Still doesn't seem to be too interested in water, I assume she'll drink some if she gets thirsty enough.

After some food she was purring up a storm and rubbing against me everywhere, even got some licks on the toes and nugging face-to-face

There's one spot I can see some blood, and a bit of red on a towel she lays on so I'll keep an eye on it. Post op instructions read avoid jumping around - how is that possible with a kitten? hehe I was laying down on bathroom floor with her on legs and all of a sudden SPRUNG! right up to the sink counter.

Still waiting for her to leave me a "little present"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement