kitten with club foot - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2003, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default kitten with club foot

Hi,
this is about an adorable little baby cat we have found at one of the barns together with her sister. They probably belong to one of the stray cats that roam around here and they appear to be a few weeks old (they both have their eyes open). The one I am concerned about seems to have an extra tiny length to one of his hind feet (maybe the other foot too, just a little less though)and looks slightly curved. I have heard opinions where it might strenghten and get better but I am concerned because when she is pottying she gets all messy on her little heinie(obviously can't squat)+ I don't know what other consequences might there be to this
Our wish is to be able to give them for adoption (they seem too small to go now - we are still feeding them by the bottle) so we want to make sure we will find somebody to love her too. The reason we are not keeping them is because we are already overcrowded with animals here..even so I am considering keeping the sweet little thing if nobody will...
So could anybody please lighten me a little bit on this matter..I would like to know if it is a danger for him to go on like this or if it would be better to take it as soon as possible to the vet
any piece of advice will be appreciated..thank you in advance, Ioana
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2003, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I would take the kitten to the vet. Not being vets, we would be guessing what the problem is, even if we could see the kitten. I am so glad there is room in your heart for this little one! If you don't keep her, I hope you find a special home for a special baby.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I agree 100% with Jeanie! I hope that the little rascal will be alright so keep us updated on what happens.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Hello Jessica and I thank you too for the reply
As I was telling Jeanie I have already taken the kitten to the vet. And indeed "the littel rascal" should get better. I have to use a splint and wrap it around with band aid + exercize with his lettle foot as often as possible making sure it streches outward. So this is what I have been doing and hopefully I will see positive results soon...and I should because his bone structure is so frail and easy to work with..so lets hope for the best.
Thanks a bunch for the support both you and Jeanie
Old 07-13-2003, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Great! I'm glad to hear the kitten is going to be OK. I know you said in your first post that you're unable to keep him but maybe after going through all this you might change your mind and make room for one more?

I know when I fostered a cat with a broken pelvis, she was only there at first just to heal and get her strength back. Now she's become a permanent part of our family.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It is true Jessica, because the sweet little thing is already sleeping in my room and I am thinking of names for him...I am just wondering if once he gains more strength he will be more energetic, like his little brother. The story is that he may be inbred so that is what caused the malformation. I have heard that the mother may herself stop feeding the baby if there is something wrong with him -> and he does seem so much more delicate, weaker, kind of lazy than his brother (who is already purring + being inquisitive). I just hope that in time he will get a lot better...I am off to see him right now. I will see you gus later so till then have a jolly time
Old 07-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

awww, pooor little kitty. I'm glad you are on the ball with problems and didn't just dismiss his. Sounds like a good plan to help to straighten his little foot/feet. I'm glad and will keep an eye on your posting as he grows...

Take Care, Star

My "Lion King" Gorgeous Georgie. (could also stand for the George W person too!)
Starduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

ioana, Don't you dare leave us in the dark, now!! We already love your kitten, and want frequent updates. And if you have no kitten news for us, we want to hear the news about ioana, our new, very considerate friend!

Old 07-13-2003, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Hello everybody,
it feels nice to come here and see a couple of messages every time. Thank you for calling me a friend, Jeanie. It is a friendly forum indeed and I am touched when I browse amongst the messages posted so far to see how much advice and support you offer to each other.
I have never had cats before. I did feed some stray ones, it is true, when I was at home in Romania. I've had dogs there ever since I was little. The animals I was telling you about, that are around here(NC), belong to my fiance's mom and I am pretty involved in it. They have here 4 dogs and a cat. But since there is a lot of room on this property we see stray cats all the time. His mom buys food for them every week and I help her feed them. Now maybe this would make a subject for another thread..I am wondering what is there to be done for all these cats? If we call animal control they will be more than sure put to sleep, and that doesn't sound like the right thing to do. Maybe, you guys, are more experienced with cats than me and can tell me if they can be tamed and put for adoption. Second Chance came here once and fixed some of them and then brought them back. This is what we are trying to do with the little ones we have already.We did give one away about 2 weeks ago, so that was a lucky case. I am inclined to keep the one with the club foot for fear no one may want him. We do have more animals than this town allows to. But we will see.
So there it is, Jeanie - plenty of updates from me now! I am looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you for the warm welcome!
ps the kitty is doing good..I have to wipe his heinie every time he has a stool ..no biggie + exercise with his little foot
Old 07-13-2003, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

First, I'll address the feral colony. I would get in touch with Alley Cat Allies at http://www.alleycat.org/

I know many people who have tamed feral cats. It takes a lot of time and patience. Fortunately a friend, Piddles, a new member of the forum, has experience with this very thing. I would send her a PM. I'm sure she would be happy to advise you. Perhaps you could suggest she put her story in a thread dedicated to socializing feral cats. She's a lovely person, and I'm sure would be happy to help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement