hernia after spay surgery - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default hernia after spay surgery

My kitten Lilly went to get spayed on November 3rd. She is feeling fine and seems to be doing ok.
After the surgery the area around the incision was swollen. I even called the vet back about 2 days later to ask if this was ok. It has now been almost 2 weeks. The area around the incision is a golf ball size lump!
I called the vet tonight, she said Lilly probably has a hurnia! She said I should make Lilly another appointment to be looked at. I did, however they are a traveling clinic and will not be back until December 8th.
I was so "flustered" when I was on the phone, because I really did not expect anything to be wrong. I forgot to ask important questions like can Lilly die from a hurnia. I am going to call back in the morning for more info.
Has anyone ever heard of or had experience with this sort of thing? I am so worried about her!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Say **** to waiting for them and take your cat to another vet ASAP. I've never heard of it, but it sounds bad
Old 11-14-2003, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I know it sounds horrible, but a hernia isn't -usually- life threatening or very dangerous. It is a hole in the wall of muscle protecting her 'insides'. The stitches didn't hold from her spay and need to be repaired. I would take her to another vet ASAP because the lump could be from a loop of intestine and left too long the intestine could die resulting in a more complicated(and expensive) surgery to repair it. Good luck to you and Lilly.
Raina_Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Lilly goes to the vet tomorow morning tro get her hernia fixed. I am a little scared for her, but glad it will be over soon.
Now we noticed yesturday one of Minnies kittens has a hernia! It is in the same place as Lillys is. She is only 6 weeks old and has not even been fixed.
The vet told me that what Lilly has was probably already there before her surgery, we just did not notice it before. It is called a belly button Hernia. That is what I belive this kitten has as well. I tried to call the vet back yesturday and still havent heard back from her yet.
I am really hopeful I can takethe kitten to get it repaired in the morning as well...I dont know if she is to young though. I am going to try to call the vet back agian..though it is Sunday she may be out of town and that is why she did not return my call yesturday.
Do you think if I do not hear from the vet I should just take the kitten with when I take Lilly? I dont know if this is appropriate because this is a traveling clinic and they have alot of cats to spay/nueter in one day!
I am very worried about the kitten, I dont know how I can give her to anyone with a medical problem..so I think I am going to keep her. I feel even more sorry and scared for her because she is so little yet.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly
I am very worried about the kitten, I dont know how I can give her to anyone with a medical problem..so I think I am going to keep her. I feel even more sorry and scared for her because she is so little yet.
I think kittens do that to us on purpose, lol. I'm keeping a kitten because it has a serious medical problem.

I'd sugest calling your own vet instead of a traveling vet about the kitten. Personal vets are more concerned about the health, traveling vets goals are to spay/neuter as many animals as possible(which is great!). A personal vet will look at the kitten AS a kitten. Kittens shouldn't be put through surgery til 5-6 months - unless it is really needed.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

hi lilly,
my cat stormy was born with a hernia, (she is now 7 years old)
the vet just had her wait until i had her spayed and fixed the hernia at the same time, which she had done when she was 10 months old. and she recovered nicely.
stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy
hi lilly,
my cat stormy was born with a hernia, (she is now 7 years old)
the vet just had her wait until i had her spayed and fixed the hernia at the same time, which she had done when she was 10 months old. and she recovered nicely.
You have a Stormy? I have a Stormy too!
Old 12-07-2003, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Welcome to the forum stormy!
I have talked to the vet on the phone today. She reassured me that the hurnia is not life threatning in the immediate future. Although not particulary comon, belly button hernias are not uncommon and the commom procedure is to keep an eye on it and fix it when she has her spay surgery.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Good luck on the surgeries Lilly!

Kim
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Of course you're worrying! That's what mommies do. Just keep your eyes open and keep the vet informed if there's a change. Keep us posted, please!

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement