Sugar may of sprained her leg! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Sugar may of sprained her leg!

She was playing in the room and may of fell off of something but anyways I came in and she was lying down and I picked her up and her right leg is cowering in and she has like no reflexes in it like the other one. I tried to walk her and she can't walk on it and the foot goes under her!

I am so worried but can't afford to go to the emergency vet right now unless I really have to. Has anyone else's cat got a sprained leg and did it get better??

Please say a prayer, and keep her in your thoughts I am so worried

Kim
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2004, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Ok now she won't even run out or leave the room when I went to the kitchen. I had to hand feed her wet canned food! It must hurt like **** and she is howling sometimes when she is walking on it. I've read that I should leave it for 24 hrs if it doesn't feel broken or anything but I am getting really worried. She walks but doesn't even want to and that right leg is now kinda stiff looking.....

I am calling my vet to see if they can see her today, I hope everything is ok, my bf says she will be but he isn't a vet.....

Kim
Old 04-06-2004, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Both of Sabby's back legs were dislocated in an accident (we're not sure what happened). The vet said they would heal on their own and it was nothing to worry about. They didn't heal properly, though and he hasn't been able to jump very high ever since. I'm sorry if this scares you and I really hope it doesn't, but I would head to the vet to be sure it's not something worse.
Annissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Ok well I set an appt for 5:30pm and I am soooo worried, they said it may take awhile for some sprains to heal, IF it is a sprain. Anyways, wish us luck! <<))

Kim
Old 04-06-2004, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I am so sorry to hear that, Kitkat ..I hope Sugar will be relieved from pain soon ..and that your budget won't be highly affected
~hugs~
Old 04-06-2004, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My cat Thunder came home dragging his leg behind, except it didn't hurt him. His leg had to be removed ebcause it was paralysed somehow in his daily outside wanderings.

If he is yowling, it's probably not paralysed because she can feel the pain. But to check, pinch his toes with your fingernails until she actually shows he is feeling it.
She probably broke something it sounds like.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

We'll be looking for your answer when you get back from the vet. I hope you get the best possible diagnosis, and that Sugar will recover quickly!

Just a bit of info:
Paralysis and lack of pain don't necessarily occur simultaneously. The nerves which carry pain are not always damaged when paralysis occurs. Paralysis occurs when the nerves carrying the message to move are affected. Polio patients, for example, often have increased sensitivity to pain, heat, cold, etc., in paralyzed muscles.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yes, when Clyde's back-end became paralysed, he could feel EVERYTHING and was very sensitive and in great deal of pain. Thunders, on the other hand, acted as if nothing was wrong. It really depends on exactly what happened.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

GOOD LUCK Kitkat! Let us know as soon as possible!
AnnaR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Thanks everyone, I just got back from the vet and its not so good news. Not so good b/c this is pretty serious and not totally bad b/c at least they don't have to amputate or anything.

She dislocated her right leg and on the x ray there was a microscopic chip almost, couldn't really tell. They said it may be able to pop back in but it may just pop back out and plus she would have to wear a leg brace thing for a few weeks which is not going to work with her not being the type of cat to even wear an e-collar, and plus I won't be home to watch her.

My other option which is what I am going for is surgery. They are going to cut a part of her muscle since the vet said that small dogs and cats don't use much weight on their back legs as much so after they heal, they wouldn't notice the difference, and are back to normal since they have so much muscle back there.

I can't believe I let this happen and I feel even more horrible b/c this is going to be like $600-$800 which I dont even have $ for right now but the most important thing is that he said the doctor may be able to work out some sort of payment plan.

I almost cried at the vet thinking how much pain she is in. I have to drop her off at the vet tomorrow morning so that the doctor can look at her and do the surgery if all is well. This couldn't of happened at a better time, I am soooo broke. Before I had my credit cards to fall on but now I don't even have that! Sorry about the long post....

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement