When do I switch to Adult food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default When do I switch to Adult food?

How old should a Cat be when you switch off from Kitten food to Adult food? Tierney is 9 months.

Tierney now eats all dry food, with some tuna mixed in a as a treat about once a week. I really don't care for wet food.

What brand is the best? I saw something yesterday about mixing dry foods?

I know this is going to give me alot of people's opinion, but that's ok, that's what I want.

Thanks!
Ta3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

if he is already neutered, then he should be on adult food, i read that they're energy levels decrease dramatically due to the loss of their testosterone.

as for feeding dry food only, are you sure you want to do this? many members will agree that you'll regret it in the future when your overweight cat has a UTI due to too much dry food (carbohydrates) and that he's not getting enough liquid, unless your cat drinks a lot.

just my 2 cents.
meowmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

He does drink alot, I usually fill the bowl twice a day.

yes I am VERY sure, the smell of the food makes me get sick. I don't think it's worth it for me to be nausiated by the food. Unless you know a brand that doesn't smell?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Um, let me get this straight. The comfort of your nose is more important than the health of your cat?
Rayona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

no, the fact that i throw up when wet food is opened is why i do not like it,

there are many cats that live just fine on dry food alone, i am just asking a question here as to what dry food to use, not to be attacked.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Well, what I feed my cats is Natural Balance. You can buy it at PetCo. I like it is because it is a food for all life stages. This works well for me since I have a kitten and an adult cat.

Natural Balance has really good ingredients, and no corn, wheat, or other cheap fillers.

Another really good food that is usually cheaper than Natural Balance is Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul. I've found this food to be a bit harder to find, but they have it in kitten and adult.

Since I'm feeding Natural Balance I don't need a kitten food, but I've always heard to feed them a kitten food until they are one year old unless they are on a food for all life stages.

As far as mixing dry foods, I would rotate them not mix them. I have 3 brands that I rotate every 4 months.

Good Luck!
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Maybe you opened some bad wet food? What brand did you try? Please, don't give up and try to feed them wet food.

I switched to adult food after they got spayed (at the age of 5 and half months).
Old 04-14-2004, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Well, I have to admit that what appeals to a kitty's sense of smell is not the same as what appeals to me. Angel's wet food stinks and that is all there is to it. But she still gets a serving of it, every evening. It smells pretty awful to me, but she loves it and it is good for her, so the smell is not that big a factor for me. I just grin and bear it.

I have mentioned this in other threads, but I free feed Chicken Soup and then give her a serving of wet food each evening. Angel loves them both, eats well and her coat is amazingly soft and downy. She has zero problems with stomach upset, no diarrhea and no smelly stools.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Tierney does reserve the right to be finicky, you know. Just because one food works for one kitty doesn't meant that it will work for Tierney, as you may well have expected. When you decide to try something, try to purchase small quantities until you know that Tierney will like it.

Peace,
Mike

ForJazz did it!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks for all the advice, I am using IAMS, which I know is not the best. I have tried there wet food, and that is what made me sick, and he hardley ate it. It looks Like Chicken Soup might be the first one i try, as a couple of you seem to like it. He was fixed months ago, but everything I saw said to feed him kitten food till 1 year. I am almost out of the kitten food, so the next bag I buy I want to be the adult formula.

Thanks guys! please keep anything else you have coming!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I find that the better quality wet foods smell WAY better. I am currently feeding my cats Wellness wet food and it smells similar to canned chicken or turkey. Just avoid the flavours with fish in them if canned food makes you ill. I know that the flavours like turkey and chicken smell better. I think Wysong foods would smell better too because they are made solely from meat (Venison, rabbit, chicken), but it is considerably more expensive (at least where I live).
As for dry food, there are a number of quality foods available. The best I've heard of are chicken soup, felidae (although there are some members who have had stinky poo from it), innova, wellness, natural balance and solid gold. Nutro natural choice is pretty popular too, although it is slightly less quality than the others (but much better than many other foods).
I agree though that you should give wet food another chance, there are some good brands out there.
queen of the nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement