I *might* have found an OK Fancy Feast - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default I *might* have found an OK Fancy Feast

I say *might* because deep down, I know they are trash....I just wish they werent BUT, I was just giving Gaylord and Ashley a little treat (because we are all having a crappy week and I am eating Ben and Jerry's), and I decided to check the label, just for fun. Here is the complete ingredient list:

sardines, fish broth, shrimp, crab, vegetable oil, carrageenan, guar gum, vitamin E supplement, cassia gum, vitamin A supplement, zinc sulfate, vitamin B-1, manganese sulfate, vitamin K, vitamin B-2 supplement, folic acid, vitamin B-6, vitamin D-3 supplement.

Now, I know it is a fish flavor, and that's bad, but putting that aside, what do you think? Because maybe, JUST maybe, they will have chicken or turkey or beef flavor food without by-products and un-named ingredients, too.

Waddya think? *prepares to get shot down*
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Hi Ianthe.....I take it your cats did not go for the Precise?
I do have a comment.....I have read through all the Fancy Feast labels.
Not all of them are as *bad* as the one posted in another post.
In fact some of them look pretty fair to me.
(preparing to get shot down too)

I found that Bosco also loves 'Pro Plan' (also made by Purina)
Once again....some labels read better than others.
He goes wild over Pet Gold Elite...they only make fish formulas!
He LOVES those!
Another he Loves...9 Lives Gourmet (hold your fire)
I choose the formulas with 2-3 meats in the first 5 ingredients.
Yes, there are meat-by-product

I am in the same boat as you are Ianthe....
I want to feed my cat wet food and I want him to eat period!
I read in another thread a while back where Dr. Jean mentioned
that 'any' wet food would be better than dry food.

Maybe that will raise some other opinions?
But that is what I keep telling myself!
BoscosMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Another he Loves...9 Lives Gourmet (hold your fire)
That made me laugh outloud.

You guys obviously are doing your best, so I hope that everyone will go easy on you. I am fairly lucky when it comes to wet foods...though it seems that they do have preferences, my cats will really eat almost anything.

Good Luck.
AddFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My problem at the moment is money. I had one of my cats have a blocked urinary tract about 5 years ago, and since then, have fed them all Purina Special Care for Urinary Tract Health, along with some Friskies Senior Cat wet food. (senior had less magnesium)
I am wanting to switch them over to the all wet diet, or in the very least, 50/50, but my issue is cost.....
On the foods I've been feeding them, there hasn't been any more issues with the stones, so I'm feeling like I should continue with it...but, the fact is they are all getting a little too chubby for their own good!!!!

I am doing the best I can as well...and so far, my kitties are doing pretty well. I just feel sometimes like I'm doing something wrong by not feeding them brands like Wellness, or Nutro.....but with 6 cats on my present salary, I just can't afford it....
Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I wonder if you could mix the Fancy Feast or whatever with a higher quality wet. It stretches the taste and the budget, right? Just throwing out an idea.
Rayona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Well, I have been known to feed my cats the very occasional can of Friskies...for this reason: If a cat were eating a truly "natural" diet of small prey, they would eat not only the meat, but also the head, fur, guts, toenails and tail. So occasional by-products are not, in and of themselves, a bad thing.

However, feeding only Friskies or Fancy Feast skews the diet towards "all by-products, all the time" with little or no meat--just the opposite.

The other problem is that canned food, especially fish flavors and those containing 'giblets', is associated with an increased risk of developing hyperthyroidism. At least part of this appears to be due to certain types of can liners. I have not been able to reach the professor at Purdue who did the work, but my suspicion is that the white can linings used by Friskies, Fancy Feast, and a few others are the most dangerous. Also, giblets is a fancy word for by-products, and whole fish also contain more by-products than foods using real meat.

So, to make a long story short, the Fancy Feast product and other fish-based foods mentioned are not a good choice, at least not for more than occasional feeding.

Any canned food is better than none, but if you're feeding the cheaper foods, you may just be trading one problem for another. It's worth doing it right, because in the long run you will save big-time on vet bills.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
drjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjean
The other problem is that canned food, especially fish flavors and those containing 'giblets', is associated with an increased risk of developing hyperthyroidism. ... Also, giblets is a fancy word for by-products, and whole fish also contain more by-products than foods using real meat.
Giblets are bad too? I've finally gotten Addison to eat his good food. Mostly Nutro Max because its cheaper than the others and he doesn't seem to be too picky about it. I see a lot of "turkey and giblets" flavors but never knew they were bad. Hm... you learn something knew every day.

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
OsnobunnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

AAAGGHHHHH!!!!
I am getting a headache! I am so happy that I got him to even eat wet food...any brand....
Now I am really going to have to do my homework!
Pet Food labels can make your head spin!
Very interesting about the white can liners....I would have thought that to be helpful.....crazy huh! Oh Man!
Why wont the Darn cat just eat the good stuff!!!
I have literally purchased EVERY brand I could find!
BoscosMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
The other problem is that canned food, especially fish flavors and those containing 'giblets', is associated with an increased risk of developing hyperthyroidism. At least part of this appears to be due to certain types of can liners. I have not been able to reach the professor at Purdue who did the work, but my suspicion is that the white can linings used by Friskies, Fancy Feast, and a few others are the most dangerous.
I went searching online and pulled this quote off of the following website:
http://www.vetinfo.com/Q&A.html

"When they make pop-top cans they line them with a chemical called bisphenol-A. I think it seals the lid under the pop top. Anyway, this chemical is hypothesized to be the cause of hyperthyroidism related to the use of pop top cans. It isn't used in regular cans that have to be opened with a can opener. Four or five years ago a study of hyperthyroidism showed a correlation between feeding cats canned food and hyperthyroidism. This was further studied in a report published this year (March 15 2004 AVMA Journal) which asked what kinds of cans were used and it was noted that the increase in hyperthyroidism is only in cats fed from pop-top cans. The major difference between the cans is apparently the use of this chemical, so it is thought to be the culprit. Before that is confirmed further study will have to be done, though - and like all these types of studies it is conceivable that something entirely different will be found."
AddFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
Quote:
The other problem is that canned food, especially fish flavors and those containing 'giblets', is associated with an increased risk of developing hyperthyroidism. ... Also, giblets is a fancy word for by-products, and whole fish also contain more by-products than foods using real meat.
Giblets are bad too? I've finally gotten Addison to eat his good food. Mostly Nutro Max because its cheaper than the others and he doesn't seem to be too picky about it. I see a lot of "turkey and giblets" flavors but never knew they were bad. Hm... you learn something knew every day.
Sometimes I give my cats some Nutro Pouches containing giblets.... Is that ok if it's only sometimes? (not every day).
Advertisement