Info. & Links on why canned is better than all dry diet - Page 18 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #171 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Here's my p.o.v. In the wild, prey is not mushy,there's skin,bones and other stuff that needs to be chomped,crunched and gnawed.

If a food,wet or dry,has the RDA of taurine,animal proteins,vitamins and minerals, and tastes good,isn't that really what matters? I feed Robin Hood canned,mostly. But if there's a healthy dry brand (and I check the label,I'm not fooled by the word 'natural',!) I'll pick that up,too. Generally whatever cat food's in Robin's bowl,he eats right up! And he's a healthy growing boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #172 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Why feed wet if you cat seems fine on dry? The effects of chronic dehydration can take years to show up in the form of serious health issues. In my cat's case close to 10 years but when they did things went downhill quickly and it took 2 years for me to figure out that dry food was the culprit. Two months of feeding wet exclusively eliminated her symptoms (Chronic UTI's, stones and improper elimination).

A cat's natural prey contains over 70% water.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #173 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Robin's p.o.v.: 'CANNED!... CANNED!... CANNED!'

So...

Thanks for sharing your story, Pandoragem! It's food for thought,literally! I've heard of humans making recoveries from diseases simply by changing their diet. Amazing.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #174 (permalink)
Kitten

The links are very helpful, and reinforce my belief that canned is superior to dry for cat food. Unfortunately, we adopted a 7 (or so)-month old kitten already addicted to the dry. We've been somewhat successful introducing him to canned food, but are still trying to make a complete change.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #175 (permalink)
Cat

Thank you for this information on a wet diet. My kitty, Katniss, had some constipation and was dehydrated. Te vet gave her some fluids and it treated it. She suggested giving some wet food with fiber. That was when I started re thinking what I was feeding, which was all dry Science Diet. With the information on wet food from this site, I started buying and feeding Katniss wet food. I now give her Wellness grain free canned food in various flavors twice a day. I need to find out the proper amount to feed to replace all dry, but she still gets a bit of the dry Science Diet until the bag is finished.

I have noticed she is hungry less, dosent really drink from her water bowl even though I still freshen up the water a few times a day, and have noticed her coat is smoother and softer. I have noticed she pees more than poops when I scoop out her box daily. I never would've known this if I hadn't looked. I'll continue reading the articles and getting more info on good food for cats.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #176 (permalink)
Kitten

I recently switched my 5 year old cat, Spats, to a mostly wet diet (I previously let her free feed on dry during the day and then gave her a 3 oz. can of wet food at night) due to constipation issues. Just wanted to vouch for at least one of the benefits of wet food. I noticed that she's definitely shedding less than usual, despite all the stress she's been through the past couple of weeks.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #177 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This thread is very old, and some links are no longer valid, but there is still good information here.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread