Cat not pooping - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2004, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Cat not pooping

The last couple of days when I've been cleaning my cat's litterbox, I haven't noticed any stools. There's been pee, but that's all.

It could possibly be that the dog has been getting into it, but I'm not sure. It could also be that my cat hasn't been using it, or has been going somewhere else I don't know about. She is eating fine, tonight she ate half a can of wellness wet, and drinking fine. She doesn't seem lethargic or sick at all, but I've had her in my room for the last few hours so I can keep a close watch on her and she hasn't gone yet.

What should I watch for to see if she isn't able to go? Will she be acting sick at all, or lethargic? I think we are going to take her to the vet first thing in the morning if she hasn't gone.

Thanks,
Juli
Juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2004, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Try to keep the dog away from the litterbox for at least a day, and then see. But you're right, if in fact she is not going, follow your gut instinct and get her to a vet asap!
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

When a cat becomes severely constipated they will be in and out of the litterbox frequently with no results. They MAY stop eating or start vomiting. You might also see some seepage around the anal area. Give a little Laxatone or similar product and try to get the kitty to exercise more. This may help things along.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Dogs do get into the litterbox. I would move it to another room for a while, and as CT said, give the laxatone or hairball remedy to move things along. If you still don't see any feces, call the vet.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Well, she went a bit this morning. I haven't seen her going in and out of the litterbox a bunch, but it does seem to me like she is eating a bit less. I'll go get some of that laxatone to try out.

I've been keeping her in one room to rule out that the dog was getting into the litterbox and that she was going somewhere else. So I know for sure that she's only gone a little since last night, and she's had 3/4ths of a can of wet food.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

She's still not showing any symptoms that she's having trouble, but she does seem to be eating a bit less. I got some laxatone and psyllium powder at the store, does anyone know how much I should give her so I'm not giving too much, or if these are a bad combination? So far I've only been putting a pinch of psyllium powder in her food.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I would hesitate to give two meds together, in case the dosage would be too strong, or that combining them would result in a harmful combination. I would give her an inch of hairball remedy as instructed on the box. Sometimes I think my Blueberry has fur in his tummy and doesn't want to eat. Of course that leads to constipation, because there is nothing in his stomach to aid peristalsis. After I give it to him, he eats well the following day, so I'm giving it twice a week. Dr. Jean recommends a big gob of petroleum jelly. (vaseline) She said it works wonders.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Constipation

How old is your cat?

If you are concerned she's not pooping (or pooping enough in regard to the amount she's eating), you really should take a trip to the Vet, particularly if it's been a while since she had a good checkup. There can be all sorts of reasons for a cat not pooping.....from an underlying health problem that's causing dehydration (diabetes, kidney disease, etc) or a whole host of other things. If it's been more than 2 days and you've not seen good normal stools, a trip to the Vet is definitely in order, as opposed to trying to fix the problem yourself. if a cat is constipated, and continues to eat, and isn't pooping properly, the constipation is only going to get worse. Cats are notorious for hiding their pain.....so by the time you notice the cat is lethargic and throwing up and and not wanting to eat, it's already pretty severe.

Severe constipation can also cause a partial or total bowel obstruction..which is a life threatening situation and will surely require major surgery, hospitalization, stress for the cat, and a lot of $$.

It takes more than a pinch of psyllium to do much for constipation.......but psyllium only works with fluid..how it works is, it draws fluid from other places in the body INTO the intestine.....to help soften up the stool and make it easier to pass. If your cat only eats dry food and you're giving psyllium, it could make things worse.

And as for the amount of laxatone to give, there should be directions on the tube.

You've already noticed your cat isn't eating as much. This is a sign. Don't try to treat this yourself, get your kitty to the Vet. A vet can easily feel a cat's colon and tell if there's constipation goin on.........and a simple xray can show an even better picture of the situation. Sometimes for a constipated cat, they'll give an enema...which takes a minute for them to give and it usually works like a charm.

Make sure you change your cat's water dish and wash it out daily.......as cats must have fresh water...usually good to keep more than one bowl around in case one is spilled accidentally.

Canned food contains 70% water so it's better for a cat to have more of canned than dry. I alway add a little bit of water to my cats' canned food, heat it for 15 sec in the microwave, stir it..helps them to get more water (they're all getting up their in age).

Other things can cause a cat not to poop. Having ingested a foreign object (something off of a cat toy, a piece of string, a piece of cellophane wrapper, etc etc)...and furball build up inside can, too.

if your cat become lethargic and throws up even once, to the Vet ASAP.
katzrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

I already took her to the vet, on Sunday. I'm not really one for at home treatments. The vet said there was nothing wrong, and she didn't even seem constipated.

She is six months old, and only eats wet food. She also drinks plenty of water, which is always fresh, from multiple cups around the house. I put plenty of effort into providing her with the best care that I can.

Today she ate a full can of wet food, and used her litterbox. She may have had a hairball or something, but she seems much better now. I was probably overreacting in the first place.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Nothing to feel bad about, better safe than sorry She has a good mommy
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement