Glossy fur coats: what is that all about? is it genetic? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2004, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Glossy fur coats: what is that all about? is it genetic?

i noticed recently that my kittens little furs are starting to become shiny, mostly along her back and a few on her head and sides...my friend has a cat as well, and all of his cats fur(approx. 1 yr. old)is very shiny....i know that some peoples cats are not shiny and so im super curious as to if it has any meaning as far as nutrition or is it genetic? sorry if this post sounds irrelevant, but im very curious as to why some cats have shiny fur coats while others dont....and if it is health related, what can i do to keep(if its a good thing)it this way? sorry for the long post, but im a first time cat owner and so im just trying to make sure my baby is healthy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2004, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

It's a little bit of everything but I think nutrition has alot to do with it. When I changed Stix from Iams to Felidae I noticed his fur change from just normal and matte to shiny and bunny soft. Even though he is a gray tabby I could tell the difference and he looked way better.

Some cats will have a more noticeable shine because of their fur color or pattern. Black shorthaired cats, for example, always look shiny to me. Also, some bengal cats have glittery coats that are genetic, so I guess it just depends on the cat.
jonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Shiny can be genetic or the result of good health ... as long as it is just dry and shiny ... if it feels at all oily it could be a problem. Its easy tell by petting. Jinx is shiny ... I thinks it is often to do with thickness and length of coat. Cats with longer hair/thicker coats just don't look as shiny because there fur in not really a sleek surface. It really depends on the cat. Just keep your kitten healthy, and feed her well, and she should stay shiny.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
jessamica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessamica8
Shiny can be genetic or the result of good health ... as long as it is just dry and shiny ... if it feels at all oily it could be a problem. .
so does that mean my kitten is unhealthy? my kitten has a bunny soft coat, it feels sleek like running it across a pebble thats super smooth or something...what should i look out for in a fur coat?
Old 10-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
so does that mean my kitten is unhealthy? my kitten has a bunny soft coat, it feels sleek like running it across a pebble thats super smooth or something...what should i look out for in a fur coat?
Oh, I didn't mean to worry you. Sounds like she (is it a she?) is just glossy and sleek ~ I only meant to make sure it's not a greasy/oily look and feel. If she looks clean and soft, she's probably just healthy and well cared for. "Bunny soft" sound good. And a pleasure to pet!

Oily will just feel a bit moist-ish and you'll be able to tell by looking (just doesn't look as clean). I only mentioned it because I've had some experience with that, and sometimes if it appears suddenly, it could be a result of a problem. ... Doesn't sound like a concern for your kitty.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
jessamica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Oh my gosh, there is NO such thing as an irrelevant kitty question! Very interesting topic.

Shiny coats are definitely a product of good nutrition. I can't address genetics, know nothing about that. My four kitties are all different colors, and all extremely shiny, they glint and glow in the sun. I feel very rewarded when I see that, I try to take the best care of them. It took me a while to find some really excellent foods that make Ginza look good. For a long time, my other 3 looked soft and shiny, but he was still coarse and dull. And when my kitties all came home from the shelters, they were also coarse and dullish.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Duchess is SUPER glossy!! Timon's fur is a bit glossy too. Rest of my cats got plain fur with little or no glossy look.
Loving_My_Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It does have a lot to do with good nutrition. A dull, brittle coat is a sign of poor diet, so the fur you're describing sounds pretty healthy.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I would agree, good nutrition. Since changing my cats diet his coat has become very shiny.

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
Doeremi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 05:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

I would say thet genetics lays the ground, it decides what coat the cat CAN have. Good nutrition then takes the coat to its optimum quality.

The genetics sets the type and quality to the fur and the food makes sure that the coat reaches its full potentiall.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement