chicken livers???? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

chicken livers????

Is it OK to feed my cats cooked chicken livers? I pre-cooked them, then freeze them in a bag, and give them some once or twice a week. Just thought I would check. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 04:41 AM
Senior Cat

Yes, cooked livers are fine. Raw livers are high in taurine, after they're cooked I can't say how nutritional they are but shouldn't hurt.

You can feed them raw liver as well as long as you trust the source. When you cook the food, you lose some of the nutrients...if you know what I mean. If you are worried about bacteria just freeze it for a month and it will kill off any parasites you may be worried about. Or, a good rinsing off with cold water should be just fine.

Cats have a very strong gut and will throw it up if it's no good. Whereas it takes people a much longer time to digest something, kitties digest foods much faster. Many people feed their cats raw and have been doing it for years and years with no problems.

~R

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Banned

I feed my boys raw meat as a treat, liver and heart are special favourites. It's what they are built to eat. BUT, I get the meat for them from a local butcher who gets his meat directly from a natural farm. There is no factory farming involved, so my cats are not ingesting the tons of chemicals and drugs they pump into those poor creatures, which are wiped out before we eat the meat by cooking it. For this reason, I wouldn't give my pets raw meat from the supermarket shelf, except in very small amounts.

Ems
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Sol
Cat Addict

Liver is great for your cat, but be careful. Liver contains high leves of vitamin A and it's poineous when fed in to high amounts. Not more than 10 % of the cats total food intake should be liver.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Maleke
My cats LOVE dried liver treats! Also, we were having steak for dinner the other night....while I was getting it ready Maleke was sniffing like CRAZY...so I decided to give him a piece of it raw. He LOVED it. It was only a tiny piece because I was worried I would make him sick since he's not used to it.

There really is nothing better than a weekend!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Cat Addict

For liver, it must be organic. The liver is the major detoxifying organ in the body and stores many toxic compounds. Commercial chickens are fed lots of antibiotics; I would not trust the liver from those birds.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM
www.littlebigcat.com
Boulder, Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page