Cat has licked all her fur off belly and spots on legs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Cat has licked all her fur off belly and spots on legs

I have five cats and 2 of them are sisters. The one has been licking all her fur from her belly and spots on her front legs for many years. She was put on cortisteroids and stopped licking for a while. Her fur began growing back. But it's not a medication that can be given long-term, so when the meds stopped, the licking started again. Now, the sister of this cat has started the same behaviour. I figure it must be a food allergy. Could someone recommend a nutritional allergy-free food that I can try? With 5 cats, I can't get them all to like/eat the same food. I had tried Nutro at one time, but none would eat it. Please help! Their bellies are all bare, pink and very sore looking. Presently, they are eating Purina One Healthy Weight Management. Thank you in advance for any help.
sdk1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Purina is not a good quality food for *any* cats. In this case, though, you want one that contains no: chicken, beef, fish, corn, wheat or dairy products. Nature's Variety Prairie has a lamb and rice food that works well for this; I think California Natural may also have one.

However, dry food is much more commonly the culprit in food sensitivities and allergies than canned; can you get them off the dry? (It may seem more expensive at first, but believe me you will save $$$ in vet bills!)

You might find some useful info in our article on inflammatory bowel disease; it's a similar type of allergy, although the symptoms show up in the gut instead of the skin.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=011

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
drjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My mother's cat has managed to lick almost all the fur off her tail, belly, and one hind leg. Her vet said that it was initally stress, and this is turned into a nervous habit. It would be similar to someone who can't stop biting their nails.

A change in diet my help, but it sounds like your kitty may just have a habit...