Wet or dry food?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 02:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Wet or dry food??

I thought I heard a while back that wet food was bad for cats. Is it more fattening or something? Or is there just nothing wrong with it? What do you feed yours? I feed mine dry food and have never tried wet. Also is milk bad for cats? (we drink skim) When we found our cat of course we didnt have any cat food and he was just starved so we fed him cheese (bad choice) and I didnt have much fun cleaning up the presents I was given. But is it bad for them to drink a bowl of milk?
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2005, 03:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

The overall opinion on here will be that wet food is better for cats than dry.

Quote:
I thought I heard a while back that wet food was bad for cats. Is it more fattening or something?
Actually, dry food is more fattening for cats. Unlike humans, their bodies are designed to metabolize protein and fat for energy, rather than carbohydrates (which is what dry food is loaded with).

Quote:
Or is there just nothing wrong with it? What do you feed yours? I feed mine dry food and have never tried wet.
There is nothing wrong with wet food, it is actually closer to a cats "natural" predatory diet. I feed my cats all wet, and they are extrememly healthy, with soft, glossy coats.

Quote:
Also is milk bad for cats? (we drink skim) When we found our cat of course we didnt have any cat food and he was just starved so we fed him cheese (bad choice) and I didnt have much fun cleaning up the presents I was given. But is it bad for them to drink a bowl of milk?
Cow milk is not good for cats, and they do not digest it well. An all wet diet typically provides all the moisture they need, though water should still be available. When using dry, have water available all the time, but realize the cat still may not be taking in all the moisture it needs.

Finally, here is a link with some good info on why wet is better than dry:
Why Wet Food is Better then Dry

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
jessamica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Boy, food - that's a busy topic on this forum! If you do a search you'll come up with all kinds of opinions. Don't worry if you just get more confused by contradictory research, you're in good company, many other members are in the same boat. After a while, you'll get a feel for what works best for your cats, and what you can live with.

But definitely wet food is not bad for cats. It's good for making sure that the cat gets moisture, which is important for preventing urinary problems. However, my cats love the crunch of the dry too, so I mix canned and dry for them, and it works great for us.

Yup, cow milk bad. It will cause diarrhea in most cats.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkitties
Boy, food - that's a busy topic on this forum! If you do a search you'll come up with all kinds of opinions. Don't worry if you just get more confused by contradictory research, you're in good company, many other members are in the same boat. After a while, you'll get a feel for what works best for your cats, and what you can live with.

But definitely wet food is not bad for cats. It's good for making sure that the cat gets moisture, which is important for preventing urinary problems. However, my cats love the crunch of the dry too, so I mix canned and dry for them, and it works great for us.

Yup, cow milk bad. It will cause diarrhea in most cats.
This is by far the best response I have ever heard to this topic. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement