Vaseline - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Vaseline

Hey guys, I know I haven't been here in quite a while, but I'm back for now and have a question...

I put Vaseline on my hands to help with dry skin and Clover started licking it off. I made her stop, not knowing if it is OK for her or not. Now I have to put gloves on after I put on the Vaseline because she LOVES the stuff. Is this bad for her, or can I let her have some now and then?

By ForJazz

"As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat." - Ellen Perry Berkeley
catobsessed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

In small amounts, the Vaseline won't do any damage. In fact, some people give their cats a weekly dose of it to help with furballs. So, you are doing both of you a favor by trying to keep your hands soft!
lolakitty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My cat has a weird thing w/ Vasaline too.

I have some on my night stand and at night I will put in on my lips and my hands. When Elliott sees it she will run up and get right in my face. She sniffs for a min and starts licking my lips. I will also wake up in the middle of the night and she will be licking my hands.

I am glad to hear that is not a huge deal and that my cat is not the only weirdy .

Thanks catlover_2004
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Vaseline is the main ingredient in hairball remedies. In fact, it's the active ingredient. If your cats will eat Vaseline straight, give them a glop once a week to prevent hairballs. My cats love hairball remedy--it's their favorite treat. They'll also eat Vaseline straight.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Vaseline is the main ingredient in hairball remedies. In fact, it's the active ingredient. If your cats will eat Vaseline straight, give them a glop once a week to prevent hairballs. My cats love hairball remedy--it's their favorite treat. They'll also eat Vaseline straight.
That makes sense. I have never paid much attention to what is in the hairball remedy.

Thanks catlover_2004
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My Lady girl is obsessed with Vaseline. She absolutely craves it. I end up buying her her own large jar, leave it open at all times & let her "have at it". She's never coughed up a hairball by the way!
Old 03-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Vaseline is a brand name of petroleum jelly. Why would a cat want to eat something refined from crude oil?
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Vaseline is not harmful when ingested because it is indigestible and passes through the alimentary canal without being absorbed. In a cat's G-I tract, it functions two ways: 1 - hair fibers absorb it and become more pliable and slippery and therefore easier to pass; 2 - it lines the walls of the digestive tract making the hair easier to slip through. Because of #2, it should not be given before a meal because it will interfere with absorbtion of nutrients from food.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
it should not be given before a meal because it will interfere with absorbtion of nutrients from food.
I just wanted to highlight this fact. This is why I wouldn't recommend leaving a jar of it out for kitty to lick whenever he/she wants. As I said before, a small serving about once a week is sufficient for hairball treatment...it's the same as giving, say, a malt-flavored hairball remedy treatment, just without the yummy flavor.
Cats don't need the formulated hairball treatment more than once a week, so why would the need Vaseline more than once a week?

So, in terms of catobsessed4's concerns: again, a little won't do any harm. Plus, the exfoliating effect of your cat's tongue might EVEN help make your hands smoother.
lolakitty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement