Cause of dry hacking cough in cat??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cause of dry hacking cough in cat???

I just adoped a cat three days ago and she has been hacking like she has a hairball but nothing comes up. I gave her mineal oil but that didn't help either. She was treated for worms at the Human Society so I was sure it was a hairball but nothing comes up. I have another kitty and I do not want him to get sick. Does anyone know what causes a dry hacking cough with no sneezing???
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Does she do it at a particular time? One of mine used to dry hack a lot after eating because he is a taller kitty and needs his food bowl higher to aid digestion.

If you have recently got her from a shelter, I would have her checked by your own vet for the sake of your other cat and your new cat's health, cats often pick up stuff at shelters that isn't diagnosed before they leave or are ill going into the shelter but the signs don't even show before they leave the shelter.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I would never attempt a guess, would just advise you to get her to a vet quickly. It could be something very minor, like a virus, brought to the surface by the stress of change or it could be signs of something much more serious. Until getting her checked by your vet, I would quaranteen her from your other cat.

As an aside, I would never introduce a new cat to my home without a good vet checkup. We just picked up our second Ragdoll on a Saturday 5 1/2 hours from home, but we had an appointment with a vet near the breeder so we could get her thoroughly checked. Also, many do recommend quaranteen of new kittens anyway because of the delay in viruses becoming visible. We did not follow this recommendation.
NewRagdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement