Cat Forum banner

does chocolate KILL????

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  emma_pen 
#1 ·
I hav heard that chocolate can kill dogs if they eat too much,is this the same for cats??? Is it even true??? Does any1 know???Just interested? :?

#3 ·
Yup - Theobromine is found in human grade chocolate, and is toxic to cats and dogs. The darker the chocolate, the higher the levels of theobromin. I would never give any amount of chocolate to a cat, but I have given it to my dogs in moderation on occasion - I'm literally talking a Malteser here!

#5 ·
My big dog gets Chocolate and other no no foods occasionally and she is now an old dog. I heard that they have to ingest their body weight in chocolate and believe 89#'s of chocolate wouldn't be in my house for long. 8O :lol:

I would never give the cat anything because he is about 80#'s lighter then the dog.

#6 ·
kana said:
I heard that they have to ingest their body weight in chocolate and believe 89#'s of chocolate wouldn't be in my house for long.
Well, I don't know where you heard that, but please don't spread information like that without checking it out. Someone might take it for a fact with fatal consequences. It's also possible that what you fed your dog didn't have much real chocolate in it. If you look at the ingredients on some chocolate products, chocolate or cocoa is a very minor ingredient.

But we are talking about real chocolate here, and:
Based on the number of calls received by The National Animal Poison Control Center and the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, one of the most commonly encountered poisonings in pet dogs is theobromine, or chocolate, poisoning....The lethal dosage of theobromine in dogs is between 250 and 500 mgs/kg, or about 2/3 to 1 1/3 of baking chocolate for every 2.2 pounds of body weight. However, serious non-fatal poisonings have been reported in dogs after eating smaller amounts.
This quote is from this web site: http://www.apogeecomgrp.com/drkevin/chocolate.html
It is written by a DVM. Other references back it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.