Fruit yogurt OK for cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005, 04:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Fruit yogurt OK for cats?

Our 3 y-o Khamun seemed to really like the cherry yogurt on the foil lid that my girlfriend offered him to lick last night.

Is there any reason that he shouldn't eat yogurt - in tiny quantities I suspect as I can't see us ever doing anything other than offering the foil lid.

I recall that cats' drinking dairy products like milk and cream is a bit of an urban myth from old Tom & Jerry cartoons but I'm not sure if it's actually harmful.

Thanks

Alex
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I know for sure that plain yogurt is just fine, but I don't know about flavored yogurt. Licking the little bit on the foil lid surely isn't going to hurt. But before you feed more, I'd think you want to find out for sure. My main concern is the artificial sweetener in "lite" yogurt; not so much the fruit or flavoring.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I don't know for sure if cats and humans are the same, but plain yougurt is the worst yogurt for people that are lactose intolerant. I know cat's are lactose intolerant, but I don't know if cat's and people react the same way to plain yogurt. I am lactose intolerant and I can eat all different kinds of flavored yogurt and I don't have a problem, but if I eat plain yogurt (I use to have the for breakfast w/ granola) it would tear my stomach apart.

Here is a paragraph that explains why yogurt is okay for lactose intolerant people.

Yogurt is safe because it comes predigested. In one of nature's small miracles, the bacteria in yogurt take over for the missing enzyme and digest much of the milk sugar for you. According to tests by Dr. Savaiano, two bacterial cultures, Streptococcus thermophilus and especially Lactobacillus bulgaricus, that transform milk into yogurt gobble up much of milk's lactose during fermentation, and once in the intestine eat much of the remaining lactose. Be sure the yogurt has live bacterial cultures, as nearly all commercial yogurts do; killed bacteria do not work. Plain yogurts have more anti-lactose activity than flavored yogurts. Buttermilk and acidophilus milk, although fermented, still cause as much distress in most people as plain milk.

Thanks catlover_2004
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

I have heard that PLAIN yogurt is good for cats because of the acidopholis and other bacteria it contains. I think the bacteria is good for digestion?? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. However, as Tim stated, the flavored yogurts contain a lot of sugar and artificial sweetener that isn't so healthy for cats. I have given Muffins plain yogurt and she loves it, but I am reluctant to give her the flavored yogurt.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
but plain yougurt is the worst yogurt for people that are lactose intolerant. ....
Here is a paragraph that explains why yogurt is okay for lactose intolerant people....
I'm sorry Adrienne, but you're really confusing us!!

What I have read agrees with what kristen98 said, but I'm not lactose intolerant, so I don't have any actual experience with either.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
but plain yougurt is the worst yogurt for people that are lactose intolerant. ....
Here is a paragraph that explains why yogurt is okay for lactose intolerant people....
I'm sorry Adrienne, but you're really confusing us!!

What I have read agrees with what kristen98 said, but I'm not lactose intolerant, so I don't have any actual experience with either.
Sorry about confusing

I am saying the flavored yogurt it okay for humans that are lactose intolerant, but plain yogurt is not.

Thanks catlover_2004
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Peaches instantly throws up when licking just a little yogurt or milk. Literally one lick means that I have grab her and put her in the bathroom for 30 minutes until she is done
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement