Keep your cat cancer-free with wheatgrass - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Keep your cat cancer-free with wheatgrass

Wheatgrass or wheatgrass juice is really good to give your cats to prevent them from having cancer. It's also for us humans as well. If you guys are interested in buying some for yourself or your furries, here are two links. My cat was diagnosed with breast cancer, I wish I had known about this before-hand, but I am still going to let her try this because either way, it prevents and helps cancer.

Information on wheatgrass...

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/acancer.htm

Where to buy wheatgrass juice & vitamins...

http://www.shopping.com/xGS-buy_wheatgr ... id-3062117
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Don't mean to start an argument here, but maybe you should read this.

And this, too.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

At worst, I really don't think it can hurt in modest amounts. If I recall correctly, wheat grass is one type of grass in some cat grasses.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I think personally you are feeling some unnecessary guilt over the death of your cat. Cats, like humans, do get cancer and as of yet we haven't found means of prevention, beyond some of the most obvious like the use of tobacco in any form. (I assume your cat did not smoke. However, there is scientific evidence of the harm of second hand smoke to cats).

Whether any of the home remedies like wheatgrass do anything, I lack the knowledge to know. Frankly, I am skeptical. However, I do just want to reinforce to you, that it isn't your failure to give your cat wheatgrass or anything else under your control that led to the cancer. And, unfortunately, wheatgrass or no wheatgrass, that is a risk you will always face. All you can do is regularly check your cat's weight, look for any signs of problems, and check her body thoroughly for tumors. As in humans, the sooner caught, the better the odds.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

timskitties,

I'm just a little concerned about the 'curative' claims, that's all.

The American Cancer Society says there's "no scientific evidence that wheat grass products can cure or influence the course of any cancer".

My cats have a pot of it to chew on because it's safe for cats to eat, and it's better for them to chew on than my furniture.

I'm not expecting it to keep them cancer-free, though.

The links in my previous post have some of the reasons.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I don't knock any natural remedy. It's always good to research it though to make sure it is safe for animal consumption. I know there are a lot of natural cures out there for ringworm, one being tea tree oil. Then again I've read over and over again that tea tree oil can be deadly to cats. So always do your research for toxicity. As far as things working, I don't think anyone knows all the things that do or don't. I also think nutrition plays an extensive role in cancer prevention. Even the FDA has come out and said that brocolli is a cancer preventer, one of the best.

I have 2 feluk cats and I have them on natural remedies because there are no conventional remedies out there that can help them. I feed them premium food (Innova) and I supplement their food with Ester C (this has been said to cure Feluk if given IV in large doses). Perssonally I don't know if that's true. However, I know Ester C is an antioxidant and is good for animals as well as humans. I also give them Transfer Factor which is suppose to boost the immune system. It contains colustrum, that is the same found in mother's milk. They are also on another all purpose anti oxidant vitamin. Having had many feluk cats die because there was nothing to prevent them from becoming ill and dying I figure I have nothing to lose and if it helps the cats then I'm happy. I don't kid myself into thinking my remedies will cure them, but time will only tell if it helps to keep them healthy for a long period of time.

I intend on researching the wheatgrass and if I find it receives an all clear I just might give some to these guys.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

I don't mean to harp on the OP for suggesting wheatgrass for cats.

There's nothing wrong with it.

It's a safe, fast-sprouting grass that's good for cats to chew on, if they want to.
Kits are sold containing organic grain, so it's much safer than using the Kentucky Bluegrass seeds you can buy at your local hardware, which may have been treated with fungicides, and who-knows-what-else. Here's an example link.

I'm not against giving wheatgrass to cats.

I give it to my cats as a 'houseplant-vegetable'.

I guess the breast cancer thing set me off.
My youngest sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in December, and fortunately, it was diagnosed early enough that they were able to get it all with relatively minor surgery. My sister is undergoing chemo-therapy now, and will start a five-year program of hormone therapy after that.

I'm all for natural remedies, but unsubstantiated claims of cures for serious diseases set off my alarm bells.

From here:

Quote:
The notion that wheatgrass can benefit serious disease sufferers was conceived by Ann Wigmore, a Boston area resident. Wigmore (1909-94) was born in Lithuania and raised by her grandmother who, according to Wigmore, gave her an unwavering confidence in the healing power of nature. Wigmore believed in astrology, and described herself (a Pisces) as a dreamer who saw life from the spiritual viewpoint to the neglect of the physical. Wigmore's theory on the healing power of grasses was predicated upon the Biblical story of Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar who spent seven insane years living like a wild animal eating the grass of the fields. Because he recovered, Wigmore presumed that the grasses had cured his insanity. [The Bible says that a prescribed seven years of insanity was visited upon the King as Divine punishment for his arrogance. (Dan 4:31-7)]
You know, Laetrile, Steve McQueen, and all that.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Well, I will try anything and I know it's not going to hurt Inky. And coming from a lot of people I know, have tried it with their pets when they had diseases and such, and they got some good results. I'm not saying it will take Inky's cancer away, that's in God's hands but anything to keep Inky healthy while she is still here and who knows, it could help her immune system.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Just monitor the poop. Too much and you'll have pudding poop.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj_slid
I'm not saying it will take Inky's cancer away,...
Actually, that is exactly what you said in the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj_slid
Wheatgrass or wheatgrass juice is really good to give your cats to prevent them from having cancer.

>snip<

...because either way, it prevents and helps cancer. (bolding mine)
That's what I take issue with.

False hope is no gift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread