Bulimic cat?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Bulimic cat?!

HI..Do you think its possible for a cat to be Bulimic?

I noticed that one of my cats (2 year old Russian blue..we adapted her when she was a feral) throwing up...let me explain something ...I feed her dry food and wet wood..I have dry food available for her to eat 27/7. I feed her wet food usually in the morning. But sometimes I do not give her wet food until night. When I give it to her she acts like she didn't eat for a month and gulps all the wet food in a minute and throws up after that. My question is ..can cats have eating disorders?
nastusha799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

I meant 24/7
Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Cats don't get eating disorders in the same way that people do, no. I feel fairly confident saying that.

However, your cat might have a sensitive stomach, or an ailment, or perhaps she's simply eating much too fast. Many different types of animal can have problems with eating too quickly for them to digest it, and they'll vomit after eating.

My cats absolutely suck up their wet food. I don't think they breathe. So that much is probably normal. It sounds like your cat can't handle having that much put before her all at once. She gets too excited. Have you tried feeding her just a scoop at a time, to slow her?

Lisa
lilysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Some cats can be prone to regurgitation from eating too fast. Some people suggest raising the bowl to ease swallowing, others suggest feeding food a spoonful at a time to slow them down. If physical causes for frequent vomiting (like inflammatory bowel disease) have been ruled out, some lifestyle and eating-style changes might help.

It is quite possible for cats to have significant psychological "food issues..." former strays often become compulsive eaters and have to be carefully watched to ensure that they don't overeat or go into a binge/purge cycle if given free access to food.
Gudewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Putting some solid object in the food, so they have to nudge it aside and eat around it, also helps them to eat slower. Ping-pong balls, golf balls, a clean smooth rock....you get the idea.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Thank you sooooo much for you helpful advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement