too young to spay/neuter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default too young to spay/neuter?

We were supposed to take Kayla and Sadie in to get spayed on the 16th. But Sadie has gone missing (feral). So my mom wants to take one of the kittens to get neutered instead. They are 10 weeks old. I think if we were going to get any of them "fixed" it should be one of the females so when they do go to their new homes we won't have to worry about them having babies. But we are having a hard time finding them new homes and she said she doesn't want the males to start spraying . Anyways, is 10 weeks too young?
Birdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Males usually won't start spraying until they are around 7 months old. I have never seen neutering done as young as 10 weeks, and we only neuter after 4 months of age. I know they do neutering younger in the US, though. I hope you find your lost baby.
emma_pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thank you for replying so fast . I tried to tell her that they don't spray so young but she wouldn't listen. I really don't want to have to put them through it so young. Hopefully the vet will tell her to wait. It would be great to have some of them "fixed" before they go to their new homes though. I hope Sadie comes home soon. I am really worried about her. Her mom was missing for a week and she came home, so hopefully Sadie will come home soon too. It isn't like her to wander off like this. She usually stays in the yard.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Birdgirl, please give your mom the following information to get her to listen:

Potential Reasons for a Cat to spray:

sexual maturity

temperament of the cat

the appearance of a strange cat in the yard

the addition of a new pet or family member into household

scent of unfamiliar cat on owner's clothing or shoes

tension or aggression between companion pets

number of cats in the home

renovation or remodeling

move to a new home

unfamiliar visitors

change in owner's schedule

The age at which a male cat reaches sexual maturity and begins to produce sperm varies from 6 to 18 months, the average being about 9 months. Two months later, sperm is present in the collecting tubules, so the male has reached sexual maturity and can now fertilize a queen.

There is no reason, none, for fixing a ten week old kitten. It's way too soon and it doesn't make any sense. No sense whatsoever.
Meowmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thank you so much. I will show her. I'm 19 and she acts like I'm a little kid. Just will not listen to what I have to say. We have 4 male kittens and she is being paranoid. She thinks that if we still have them in a couple weeks they will start to spray . She is the one that let Kayla out every single day without being spayed in the first place and now she refuses to help me find them new homes. She says that if I don't find them new homes in a few weeks she is taking them to the shelter . She loves animals and she has never acted like this before. I don't know what her problem is.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I live in Los Angeles and recently got a new kitten from the pound. He was just 6 weeks but they would not release him until he was neutered. Iwas very surprised that they neutered so young but that's their new policy. I talked to my vet about it and he said a lot of places are doing it and they have found that there no health problems associated with doing it so young. I'm still skeptical but, since I wanted to get a cat from the pound I didn't have a choice. Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

All very nice, but the facts still are that

1. a 10 week old kitten is far too young to be spayed/neutered

2. 10 week old kittens do not contribute to pet over-population.

There are other opinions regarding early spay/neuter but usually those opinions are ignored and nowhere is objective, detailed discussion encouraged. Like so many other things today, early spay/neuter is aggressively advocated. Those who advocate it, however, conveniently ignore other, even more important issues involved in pet over-population.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I think it depends on the individual circumstances.

If you're in a shelter environment, you either spay/neuter at 10-12 weeks, or you end up with a shelter full of 6 month old kittens that no one wants because they're "too old." Given the percentage of adopters whose checks bounce, I don't hold up a lot of hope for spay/neuter contracts being observed on a large scale (nor do I expect to see big grants rolling in to pay for enforcement of them, either). Unaltered 10-week old kittens don't contribute to pet overpopulation, but the people who adopt them sure do.

Now, if we're talking about MY personal kitten (not that I would have a kitten, because I'm not fond of them, but hypothetically speaking), I would likely wait rather longer to neuter unless I was trying to rehome him, simply because I know that I would be on top of the situation (not to mention that my vet would be ringing my phone off the hook to make sure he got in for the surgery). If I was trying to rehome in an urgent situation, and didn't know each adopter very well, I'd alter as soon as my vet was comfortable with doing the procedure, just so that I would KNOW it was done.

So it just depends on individual circumstance.
Gudewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmie
All very nice, but the facts still are that

1. a 10 week old kitten is far too young to be spayed/neutered

2. 10 week old kittens do not contribute to pet over-population.

There are other opinions regarding early spay/neuter but usually those opinions are ignored and nowhere is objective, detailed discussion encouraged. Like so many other things today, early spay/neuter is aggressively advocated. Those who advocate it, however, conveniently ignore other, even more important issues involved in pet over-population.
I am not going to have my cat spayed until she is almost four months, but @ the shelter I volunteer @ they are done @ 8 weeks and there has never been a problem.

Thanks catlover_2004
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The discussion started with this:

"We were supposed to take Kayla and Sadie in to get spayed on the 16th. But Sadie has gone missing (feral). So my mom wants to take one of the kittens to get neutered instead. They are 10 weeks old. I think if we were going to get any of them "fixed" it should be one of the females so when they do go to their new homes we won't have to worry about them having babies. But we are having a hard time finding them new homes and she said she doesn't want the males to start spraying . Anyways, is 10 weeks too young?"

10 week old kittens and a mom terrified that they will start spraying.

Well, they will not start spraying at that age, or even two-three months from now. They are far, far away from sexual maturity. And they are in a home environment, not in a shelter, so there is no reason on earth to rush out and have them neutered. Especially, to make sure that they won't start spraying. At 10 weeks they can't and they won't. And I hope Birdgirl's mom will relax, enjoy the kittens, and allow them to have this very special time in their lives without being subjected to surgery - unnecessarily early surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement