My cat's fur is turning yellow - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default My cat's fur is turning yellow

Hi everyone. I have a black and white cat and the white fur is turning yellow. The yellow fur is mostly on shoulders, under her neck, and on her legs. I washed her but I can't get all the yellow off. It gets a bit darker each day. It doesn't look like she has Jaundice, but I cannot rule that out as an option either. Please help. Any advice will be appreciated greatly!

Alrisaera
Alrisaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I don't believe jaundice would be manifested in the fur. I don't really have an answer, but keep watching this space. We have a lot of experienced members.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Is this an indoor or outdoor kitty? And how old is it?

I've never heard of anything like this, although I've had cats whose fur darkened or lightened as they got older. I'm sure this is something you've thought of, but could the little one be getting into anything that would cause the discoloration?
catgirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

It must be staining of some sort, and jaundice turns the skin yellow not the fur. Is the staining in areas where she can reach to lick herself? If so, she could have a dental problem...? Other than that, I'm out of ideas! Do let us know if you find out!
emma_pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Meowmie pm'ed me this information and gave me permission to post it here:

Quote:
This is the only thing I'm aware of regarding color change:

Color Changes in Fur

Q: Dear Dr. Richards,
Have you ever heard of a cat's fur changing colors in isolated areas due to
a medication, treatment or test being administered???

My grandmother is extremely concerned that her cat Eloise's fur has changed
from black on her back to a reddish brown. This happened after a visit to UC Davis to
determine if she might have inflammatory bowel disease. Eloise's brother - Peter - died
a year ago, and my grandmother is quite distraught at the prospect of losing
her other "child". She asked me to find out anything I could about it using
the internet. Can you help?

Thank you,
Sincereley, Rene

A: Rene-

It might be a good idea to have the cat's serum protein value checked. Inflammatory
bowel disease can lead to difficulty absorbing protein or vitamins and low serum
protein can cause a reddish discoloration of the haircoat.

It wouldn't surprise me if some medications can do this, too. I just don't know of any, offhand.

Mike Richards, DVM
Old 06-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My cats sometimes get a bit yellow when they are dirty... I give them a bath and they are all white again... the vet says it may have something to do with the dye from dry food rubbing off a little on their coat when they groom. What did you use to wash her? Mine get 2 shampoos and a condition to come out white and fluffy again (but mine like baths and so are co-operative for 3 rinses!)
Old 06-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21
the vet says it may have something to do with the dye from dry food rubbing off a little on their coat when they groom.
Hmmmmm....that's interesting. Might be on to something here. Alrisaera, what do you feed your cat?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Ash.. my poor yellowish kitty....

Ashley (Ash for short) is only a year, maybe a year and a half, so I know it cannot be the age thing... She's an indoor cat, along with my other 2. The other cat's aren't turning yellow. She's never done this before and everything such as cabinets, closets, and utility areas are closed off due to the mischief of the other two cats.

Perhaps it is the food thing. We feed her Special Kitty from Wal-mart because she absolutely refuses to eat anything else.. We just tried another flavor of Special Kitty, could that be the cause of it?

I'll also check her teeth carefully, make sure there is nothing wrong..

Thanks for all the ideas and help. I'll surely keep posting my questions here! Maybe even a picture of my wonderful 3 babies!

Alrisaera
Alrisaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
My cats sometimes get a bit yellow when they are dirty... I give them a bath and they are all white again... the vet says it may have something to do with the dye from dry food rubbing off a little on their coat when they groom. What did you use to wash her? Mine get 2 shampoos and a condition to come out white and fluffy again (but mine like baths and so are co-operative for 3 rinses!)
Do you mind if I ask what brand of shampoo you use? Banzai is mostly white and I'm thinking he may need more baths than Bogey and Buster, who only get baths when they get into stuff they shouldn't (like when Bogey got into the attic and got insulation all over his fur).

Banzai's fur is a little yellow from the flea medication that was used on him.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Do you mind if I ask what brand of shampoo you use? Banzai is mostly white and I'm thinking he may need more baths than Bogey and Buster, who only get baths when they get into stuff they shouldn't (like when Bogey got into the attic and got insulation all over his fur).

Banzai's fur is a little yellow from the flea medication that was used on him.