Special Kitty kitten food has 40% protein! Impossible!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Special Kitty kitten food has 40% protein! Impossible!!!!

I was at Wal-Mart today and I picked up a bag of Special Kitty kitten food out of boredom. I was shocked to find out that it contains 40% protein, 12.5% fat and 1.25% taurine!!!

IMPOSSIBLE!!! How did such a crappy food come up with such high amounts of protein?????
roseeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 02:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

what was the food called? i just was at petco today and remember seeing a sign like that too..
Old 06-15-2005, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

MizzKitty, "Special Kitty" is the name of the cat food, and its very low-quality.

Protein comes from other sources besides meat, including grains. The low end cat foods usually contain mostly plant-based protein, and not meat-based protein.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Most commercial cat foods actually have around 40% protein on a dry matter basis, and it's far too high. The higher the protein, the higher the phosphorous. The higher the phos, the harder the kidneys have to work. The harder the kidneys have to work, the higher the risk of CRF in later life. To work out the REAL protein level of any food, all you need to know is the % protein on the label, and the % moisture on the label. Felix, which claims to have something like 8% protein, actually has around 45% when you work it out on dry matter basis.
emma_pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_pen
Most commercial cat foods actually have around 40% protein on a dry matter basis, and it's far too high. The higher the protein, the higher the phosphorous. The higher the phos, the harder the kidneys have to work. The harder the kidneys have to work, the higher the risk of CRF in later life. To work out the REAL protein level of any food, all you need to know is the % protein on the label, and the % moisture on the label. Felix, which claims to have something like 8% protein, actually has around 45% when you work it out on dry matter basis.
OTOH, phosphorous levels vary wildly from food to food. Wellness canned (at least the flavors I use) have 30-35% protein and 175-180 mg phosphorous (per 100 kcals), DM basis. As contrast, Nutro MaxCat formulas around 35% protein have phosphorous content closer to 225-250 mg/100kcal, with their Natural Choice Salmon & Shrimp chowder weighing in at 328 mg/kcal and 35% protein (source: food lists from sugarcats.net). 9-Lives has a phosphorous content around 370-450 mg/100 kcals for most of their foods that have around 35-36% protein.

But compared to dry foods, I'll take it. Most dry foods are over 200 mg phosphorous/100 kcals...and dig this:

Tender Vittles Gourmet: 38% protein, 32% fat, 30% carbs. 0.5 mg fibre/100 kcals...and 622 mg phosphorous/100 kcals. No wonder Assumpta wouldn't touch the stuff, even as treats (I offered her some when she first came to live here, and I was amazed when she wouldn't eat it and decided that there must be something horribly wrong with it).

As for the Special Kitty, the protein level would likely be a dosh higher when figured on a dry matter basis (I'm assuming this is a dry food), but those numbers sound terribly out-of-whack to me...12.5% fat sounds dreadfully low for any kind of cat food, let alone kitten food...even Hill's prescription R/D has 25% fat dry matter (which is pretty rock-bottom, even for "weight-loss" foods). I'd have to see the whole label (which is unlikely since I've never been in a Wal-Mart and don't intend to start now), but something sounds off to me and I can't imagine a kitten food with that little fat in it...anyone know if the ingredients and nutritional analysis are available online?
Edited to add: the tables I usually use have been very much updated since my copies were printed (I need new copies), so some of this info has changed. Tables can be found at:
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html
and
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/dryfood.html
There is also an FAQ about how the numbers are calculated, as well as a discussion of the relationship between mg/kcal and strict dry matter phosphorous content at:
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/foodfaq.html
Gudewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

And isn't that way TOO much taurine? You don't want to OD on amino acids, either, right?
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

gosh, this is enough to drive someone mad...lol...
how much protein, fat, etc, should a kitten be getting?
taurine? i think i should know what this is, but i dont...
Old 06-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

OOPS!!! I typed label wrong. It was 0.125% taurine, not 1.25% taurine. My bad!!!

Anyhow, I always thought the more taurine, the better

I thought it might be a decent food to feed the feral cat colony that hangs out around my apartment.

12.5% fat is awfully low for a kitten food. However, 40% protein is a very high value. I still wonder what is the individual amino acids composition in this food.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudewife

As for the Special Kitty, the protein level would likely be a dosh higher when figured on a dry matter basis (I'm assuming this is a dry food), but those numbers sound terribly out-of-whack to me...12.5% fat sounds dreadfully low for any kind of cat food, let alone kitten food...even Hill's prescription R/D has 25% fat dry matter (which is pretty rock-bottom, even for "weight-loss" foods). I'd have to see the whole label (which is unlikely since I've never been in a Wal-Mart and don't intend to start now), but something sounds off to me and I can't imagine a kitten food with that little fat in it...anyone know if the ingredients and nutritional analysis are available online?
MMM...that is very interesting...most of the grocery store foods I looked into has only about 25% protein content and 8% fat content. I wonder why that is the case. Maybe I accidentially looked into the weight loss foods section by mistake.

Do you guys think it could be okay if I give this food to the feral cats hanging outside my apartment??? I always feel bad for them because they are so skinny but there is no way I could afford to feed Nutro to all of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement