Special Kitty. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Special Kitty.

We got this "Special Kitty" brand cat food & I was wondering, is it good? I've never heard of "Special Kitty". The pieces look good.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Nope, not at all. Can't find the ingredients (haven't looked too hard though) but from what I think I know about it, its pretty much one of the lowest you can find.

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
OsnobunnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

It's a Wal-Mart in-house brand.

I haven't had a lot of luck trying to find an ingredient list and analysis, either; we've been discouraging people from donating it at the shelter because lots of our cats have problems with food dyes, but If I happen to see a bag come through, I may copy out the ingredients. Problem is, most brands like this use a least-cost method of production, so there's no way to get a truly accurate as-fed analysis...but it'd be nice if there was an ingredient list available.
Gudewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Special Kitty for cats is like Taco Bell meat for us. It's nothing but junk. I mean, the cans cost like, 30 cents each for the big cans, so what does that tell you?
If you are going to buy from Walmart, stick to something like Fancy Feast.
lolakitty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Their regular canned foods are made in the same factories under the same Mars company and with the same recipes and ingredients as 9 Lives. Wal-Mart commissioned the Mars company to make Special Kitty canned foods according to the standards for the 9 Lives canned foods. Special Kitty and 9 Lives canned foods are EXACTLY IDENTICAL except for the packaging. Their canned foods are the equivalent of 9 Lives. 9 Lives is not a good-quality food, but the worst canned food is still better than the best dry food.

I don't like their dry foods. Too much corn. However, their kitten dry food has about the same nutrition profile as a petco-quality adult food. If you are going to feed it at all I strongly prefer you buy their kitten food and their canned foods over their adult dry foods. Their kitten food is only 20 cents more expensive than their adult food.

Please avoid their adult dry foods at all costs. Since their kitten dry food is only 12.5 percent fat (a normal kitten food has about 20 percent fat) you can feed their kitten food to adult cats without concerns about obesity. However, you should NEVER feed their adult dry foods to ANY of your cats. If you happened to buy one of their dry adult foods, I strongly encourage you to feed the bag to ferals instead.
roseeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I found this:
First 5 ingedients on special kitty dry:
1. Ground Corn
2. Corn Gluten Meal
3. Chicken By-product
4. Soybean Meal
5. Animal Fat

Actually, only their wet is made by 9 lives, their dry is made by menu foods (which one is worse, I can't answer).

We have on occasion fed it to ferals though, both the dry and wet, because it is super cheap and I reckon its better for them to get a good meal and me to be able to feed all of them than to have a high quality food and some not get fed or they all get a smaller amount and so are not being fed as much.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21
Actually, only their wet is made by 9 lives, their dry is made by menu foods (which one is worse, I can't answer).

We have on occasion fed it to ferals though, both the dry and wet, because it is super cheap and I reckon its better for them to get a good meal and me to be able to feed all of them than to have a high quality food and some not get fed or they all get a smaller amount and so are not being fed as much.
I totally and absolutely concur with this opinion.

However, for the ferals, I would strongly recommend their kitten dry food over their adult dry food. The kitten dry food only costs 20 cents more. It is to my understanding that most feral cats are under two years old. The extra fat in the kitten food would really be essential for scrawny feral cats.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Funny...as I write this, I am munching on some wonderful Little Bear Organic corn chips...probably tastes about the same.

I worry about store brands that are repackaged from other manufacturers and sold cheaper. My suspicion is that they scoff up the stuff that doesn't pass muster for the large manufacturer, but that isn't so bad that it's unsaleable. Just my own personal thinking on the matter. Actually, I recently saw cases of unlabeled Special Kitty 3 oz cans at a job lot store for about 5-10 cents a can, so it just gets scarier from there.

I'd call the manufacturer and get the calcium and phosphorous level of a kitten food before feeding it to an adult cat long-term, especially an older cat or one predisposed to urinary/kidney issues (for ferals and strays, I'd probably mix cat and kitten food to balance it out for a broader "audience"). On the occasions when we have cat/kitten dumps out here (cats don't live long enough out here to get feral), we decide case-by-case whether to use cat or kitten food. For example, my neighbour gave Assumpta adult Friskies for several weeks before she could catch her, but I gave Cookie Chicken Soup Kitten and Purina Kitten formula because I had a strong suspicion that she was pregnant and malnourished, and I wanted to get as much into her as I could. I also don't break the bank feeding strays, I usually have a bag of Chicken Soup and some cans of Friskies handy just in case we spot a cat in need.

But Special Kitty in general is a huge unknown for me because they only sell it at Wal-Mart.
Gudewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

A long time ago, when I was really broke and Sunshine and Jade were kittens, I fed them Special Kitty Super Supper Dinner canned cat food until they were four months old. My financial situations improved and I got a lot smarter about cat foods.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
9 Lives is not a good-quality food, but the worst canned food is still better than the best dry food.
Personally, I would prefer to feed my cats a premium dry food over a crappy wet food any day. Wet food may contain more water and fewer grains, but the cheap canned foods are generally made up of mostly by-products, and I doubt they provide complete balanced nutrition.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement