Pyometra, HELP! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 70
Default Pyometra, HELP!

Hi eveyrone, I hate to join here and jump right in and ask for help but I'm as desperate as I can get at the moment. I have a persian cat (Justice) she is 9 years old, she used to be my late Step Moms cat, when she pased, Justice came to live with us. She came into last week and this past Friday upon coming home, she looked like her back end had fell in water somehow. I smelled it to see if maybe she might have had diarhea (sp) but it had no smel. I then lifted her tail and she had puss coming out her vagina. Our vet was closed and the two ER vets here won't see her without me paying $80 up front just to walk through the door with her and right now, we are flat broke and they won't let me make payments. Our vet is out till Tuesday because of the holiday so my sister gave me the number to her vet. He called me back and regreted to say that from everything I told her, it sounds as though she has open pyometra and she's going to need surgery or this will kill her. I had been giving her Amoxicllion and he told me to give her the Augmentin I have here at home instead because it's a bit stronger. It's a 400 MG tablet and he told me to cut in into 4 equal parts and give her 1 part of the pill every 12 hours. I'm force feeding her Pedilite through a syringe and also force feeding her babyfood chicken mixed with plain yogurt with live cultures to replenish the good bacteria in her stomach that the antibiotics are removing. I've cliped a bit of her hair away from the vulva so she isn't such a mess back there, but I am afraid to clip it all off for fear that the infection will get worse. She's urinating and it has a bit of blood in it and there's still a little pus. She hasn't had a bowel movement since Friday. I've taken all her cat litter out of her box and replaced it with white paper towles so I can monitor and see if she is still passing blood and puss. I'm praying out vet will take payments, we've ALWAYS paid cash in full up front for everything for our three dogs and they told me if I ever needed them to hold a check for us they would hold one for two weeks. She isn't up walking around, only to use the litter box, that's it. Her ears and gums are pale and the ears are cool to the touch. She felt like she was running a fever Friday, but since I started her on antibiotics, she's very cool. I'm scared to death I'm going to lose her and I just can't exlain what Justice means to me. She's all I have left of my Step Mom of 27 years and this is ripping my heart out. Does anyone know the cost of what the surgery is for Pyometra? As long as my vet will let me make payments, I'll pay on it the rest of my life, I just want her to make it and be healthy. The ER vet told me the cost of the surgery there was $1100 to $1300 and more if their was any complications. I know ER vet normally charge 3-4 times more than regualr vets so their price didn't surprise me really. It's a shame when a piece of paper means more than a life. I could never turn anyone away for lack of having the money. Please, if anyone knows of anything more I can do till tomorrow moring, I'd grately appreciate it, and if you all could send up some prayers for Justice, it would mean the world to us. Thank you all so much in advance.

~LilJoe~
LilJoeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 5,098
Default

I'm really sorry, but a Pyometra is an IMMEDIATE medical emergency. Itis not one that can wait until morning. Justice will most likely not make it until tomorrow, and she is also most definately in a LOT of pain. If you cannot afford to take her right now for treatment, than I'm sorry, but you need to take her to be put to sleep. It is not fair to the cat to make her die a slow painful death during the night.

Prayers for you both
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 70
Default

Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it, but as I said, she has made it through from Friday up until now and I WILL NOT rob her of the chance to save her life. I have talked to my sisters vet and he thinks she has a fighting chance because it is OPEN pyometra and not closed. I am taking her to my vet in the AM and if he says it's to late, then and only then will I put her down. As for her being in pain, I don't like it one bit and believe me, I have slept on the bathroom floor with her for the past few nights praying that God would take her pain away, it makes me sick to think of the pain she is in, but right now, my hands are tied until tomorrow morning. I'm giving her EVERY CHANCE POSSIBLE to beat this and I won't give up till I hear from a professional that there is nothing that can be done.

~LilJoe~
LilJoeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 5,098
Default

Is there a reason that she is not spayed?
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 70
Default

Yes, because she is the only cat in the household and an inside cat only. I never heard of pyometra till I researched her symtoms and talked to my sisters vet and the fact that I was afraid to have her put under because she's all that I have left of my Mom.

~LilJoe~
LilJoeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 5,098
Default

I know you are under tremendous stress right now and and are feeling horrible, but now you see why spaying is so important....it prevents Pyometra from happening.

Do you think the emergency vet would at least ive you some pain medication for her, so she could be a bit more comfortable until tomorrow? I can't imagine the pain she must be in.
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 70
Default

I understand now why spaying is so important and believe me, I wish I had not been so scared to death to have her spayed before. Had I known before what I know now, I would have had her spayed, but I can't turn back time, God knows I wished I could. And no, I have begged and pleaded with both ER vets to let me bring her in and make payments and they said no, I can't even see of talk to a doctor until I pay $80 up front. My husband gets his paycheck tomorrow and they won't even hold a check for me until then. I hate the fact that this is happening and if they would even hold a check for pain meds, I'd go get it right now, but they won't. I don't understand why either because I have delt with them in the past with my Boxer and paid in full the same day and then my dog a few years back had to have surgery and I paid it all in full.

~LilJoe~
LilJoeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Burlington, Canada
Posts: 2,916
Default

There is also a non surgical approach that helps loosen the pus in the uterus where they inject hormones to reduce the blood level of progesterone, relax the cervix, and contract the uterus to expel bacteria and pus. If you can't get payment plans with your vet perhaps you could get this for cheaper. I read that it only has a 70% success rate on the first treatment and has some nasty side effects for a day or two, none of which are serious though.

Try not to wait too long though as if any ruptures into the stomach and abdominal cavity, your cat could get scepticemia, making the chances of surviving surgery lower.
__________________
icklemiss21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Burlington, Canada
Posts: 2,916
Default

I would give the emergency vet a cheque - the banks are closed so they can't cash it until tomorrow anyway.
__________________
icklemiss21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 70
Default

Thank you for your reply Icklemiss. I read about that treatment but I'm glad you just brought it up again, because I've been so sick with worry that I hadn't even thought about this as an alternative if the vet won't accet payments if the surgery is to much. I don't know if this other option on works for closed pyometra though? I want the surgery for her, but if we can't do that, then I wil certainly ask my vet about this treatment. Right now, it is coming out on it's own and I am washing her and keeping it as clean as possible. I know how seriou this is, believe me, I've read and read and read and cried and cried and cried praying to God he'd see her through this. I feel awful for her and I wish I was rich and could pay the $1100 to $1300 right now for the ER to do the surgery right now, unfortunately, I just don't have that kind of money.

~LilJoe~
LilJoeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com