How long can cats go without water... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default How long can cats go without water...

...and still be ok?

I'm on vacation with my husband. We've been gone since Wednesday morning. Before leaving, I set out some extra water for our 3 cats, expecting that my husband's buddy will be stopping by sometime Friday to refill the water and clean up the litter boxes. However, it's already Saturday afternoon and we still haven't heard from him, even after calling him and leaving a message last night.

I normally feed the cats wet food in the morning and dry in the evening, but since we're on vacation, they are on 100% dry food right now, so they will be drinking more water than usual. I expect the amount of water I left out to last until tonight, maybe tomorrow, but I'm very worried about our "kids" getting dehydrated.

Can they go without water for two days and still be ok? I'm sure they'll survive longer, but I'd like to know that they'll do better than just get by. I want my babies to be ok!
ylaenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

As I understand, two days is about the limit for not drinking and not having possible adverse health effects. Not saying there will be any, just saying that the probability increases. And you're right, they will survive longer.

Hopefully he got the message and didn't call back either because he couldn't contact you where you are or because he already took care of it and didn't feel the need to call back (a typically male thing to do, and since I'm a guy, I feel free in saying it )
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Thanks so much for the reply. That's good to know! Good news is that we finally got a hold of the guy and he stopped by our house about 2 hours ago. All three of my "kids" are doing just fine. The only thing they were starved for was attention.
ylaenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Its good to hear they are okay. But if you are wondering cats do get alot of water from their food and will be okay for a few days without having to drink I think the longest time is about three to four days. Cats which eat alot of pellets (dried food) will need more water then those cats who eat canned or fesh meat. Hope you had (or are having) a nice time
jesspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

If we are going to be gone for a few days we fill up a Le Bistro Waterer for our Rocky. Someone comes in to check on her but her food and water are always there for her just in case. Less worries that way !

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 8277036738
RockysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement