will getting neutered change his personality? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default will getting neutered change his personality?

Next week my kitten Mario will be neutered. All my other cats were fixed before I adopted them so this is my first time. The vet says he has to stay overnight but why? No one will be there at the vets overnight but if he's home we'll all be there in case something comes up. Also, will his behavior change? Now is is uber friendly and so much fun! I don't want any of that to change. Help!
momto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm not sure why they want him to stay overnight but his personality shouldn't change because of nuetering. The only thing to change his personality is age. Good luck!

emrldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Actually, my cats changed....for the better.

All three males are much sweeter now they are neutered.
roseeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

If the surgery is done in the morning, I really don't see any need to stay overnight. Maybe the surgery is being done in the afternoon?
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

The surgery is in the morning. I cancelled because I could'nt convince them to let him come home that same day. Called another vet that one of my cats sees and they want 215.00!! They say they use laser technology and keep him on iv fluids thru out the day but he can come home that day, then I called the humane society where my brother got his dog spayed ( he is very picky about his dog, so I felt they were a good place) they only want 45.00 and he can go home that day also.
momto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I've never heard of a male cat having to stay over night (females need an overnight stay as it's a much more extensive surgery). My cats neutering has ranged from $35-$65. $215 sounds a little steep!
I've never noticed any personality change after surgery.
Good luck!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I don't think the IV is necessary in the case of a castration. That's really pretty minor surgery. I think that vet was just pumping extra service.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Make sure you get him the rabies shot before neutering. State law requires rabies shots before neutering.

The vet often charges $$$ for the rabies vaccines. Almost everywhere else is much cheaper.

My vet told me for Edison's surgery it sould be $45. However, when I got him I was charged $80 because the rabies shot cost $35. Petco only charges $12 for the rabies shot.
roseeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
Make sure you get him the rabies shot before neutering. State law requires rabies shots before neutering.

The vet often charges $$$ for the rabies vaccines. Almost everywhere else is much cheaper.

My vet told me for Edison's surgery it sould be $45. However, when I got him I was charged $80 because the rabies shot cost $35. Petco only charges $12 for the rabies shot.
Ouch...my vet only charges $3 for a rabies shot!

For us with both spays and neuters our vet lets them come home the same day as their surgery. Neuters are $40 and spays are $50.
TxnKats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My friend told me that after her cat got neutered/spayed (I don't remember which is which), her cat did not want to be held and was more scared. And it's been 2 years already since she got fixed. She was I think 4 when she got the operation.
badet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement