Ball under her skin? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Ball under her skin?

Under Trixie's skin on her one side she has a little ball -- I run my finger over it and she doesn't show pain. I remember my neighbor's dogs used to have them and they were no big deal -- is that the same thing in cats?

I just want to know if I'm overreacting before I run off to the vet's.
Crystal211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Has she had any vaccinations recently? Where is it located? How long has it been there and how old is she? What vaccs does she receive?

Just trying to get a handle on the background
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

She got vaccinations in September when we got her. I'm not sure how long it's been there, a few months at least...I want to say since we got her...but I'm not sure.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Has she had any injections recently? Does she go outside? If she hasn't been injected recently I would get it checked out. Cats don't tend to get the same benign masses as dogs.
emma_pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Nope, she hasn't...I want to say she's had it since then...and I know that's where she got the shot because she was supposed to get it in her missing leg, but well...

And no, she doesn't go outside.

Thanks for the info -- I wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting before taking her in.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Default balls under skin

both of my kitties had lumps under their skin a year or 2 ago. the older one had what felt like a mole on her neck as well but as it hadnt been there all her life i had that checked, too. i took them to the vet who said that they were indeed small tumors but were removable. my girls never showed any signs of pain or irritation from the lumps but a mother worries hehe anyway, i had them removed and there havent been any problems since. i dont remember whether or not the vet said they were dangerous but only that there was no harm in having them removed. it's always best to get to the vet. if you felt a lump on yourself, youd see a doctor, right? and yet humans get harmless lumps, too. good luck
Old 12-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: balls under skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1girl
both of my kitties had lumps under their skin a year or 2 ago. the older one had what felt like a mole on her neck as well but as it hadnt been there all her life i had that checked, too. i took them to the vet who said that they were indeed small tumors but were removable. my girls never showed any signs of pain or irritation from the lumps but a mother worries hehe anyway, i had them removed and there havent been any problems since. i dont remember whether or not the vet said they were dangerous but only that there was no harm in having them removed. it's always best to get to the vet. if you felt a lump on yourself, youd see a doctor, right? and yet humans get harmless lumps, too. good luck
Agreed. If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost to get them removed and what was the recovery time like?

Also, I just checked her and can't find what I felt...I'm going to feel later, I might be able to feel it better when she's laying down.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Crystal, I would not wait; I'd take her to the vet. Perhaps they're just sebaceous cysts. However, I found a small lump on Precious last spring and it was malignant. It was behind a nipple, but I thought it was an abcess. but it was not sensitive either.

The vet found another, and unfortunately, it was mammary cancer. As you might know, I lost my Precious in October. The lumps didn't come back, as the vet feared they might, but one day I noticed her breathing rather fast. Evidently, although I had seen no symptoms, the cancer had spread to her lungs. The cost of everything, including the exam, surgery, and culture, was about $225.

I will be thinking of you and hoping that these are innocent cysts, but it's best to check it out.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

We're extremely tight on money right now so I'm trying to figure out about how much this is going to cost.

The exam will be $17 at the clinic we go to. Then what do they do examine the bump if need be? Does anyone have a general cost I should be looking to spend?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

A lump under the skin could be any of several things. Older dogs tend to get lipomas, or fatty tumors, under their skin. These are usually benign and don't need to be removed. However, this is not really found in cats.

When I found a lump under my cat's skin (on her left flank where she got her rabies vaccinations, hard and rounded), it was removed and biopsied, and found to be subcutaneous fibrosarcoma, a fairly common and aggressive form of cancer. After removal, there is a chance it won't come back, and a chance it will. The earlier you have it removed, the better.

Unfortunately, my cat had to be euthanized after two surgeries which did not stem the growth of the cancer.
Lilycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement