Sprian? Strain? Or Break? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Sprian? Strain? Or Break?

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping that you guys can help me out here. I'm worried about my Cat, Sophie. Yesterday I went outside to do chores and Sophie was on the porch. I greeted her and then noticed that something was wrong with her front paw/leg. She is holding it up off of the ground and will not walk on it at all. She also does not keep it bent up off of the ground but rather has it held straight out. I don't know if this is a good sign or not but the leg does able to be sturdy. It doesn't dangle or wobble when she walks (Limps is more like it). I tried to feel for breaks but I'm really not the most experienced at this sort of stuff. She did however let me feel it and didn't seem to be in discomfort. I did a quick cheak and all that I could see was that her pad on that paw was chapped. That wouldn't hurt enough for her to be acting like this. The leg felt just like her other unharmed one. I was getting very worried as she was not moving it at all. No movement. However when I went back out to check on her she was laying down in the Cat bed out in the garage. She Stretched out and not only stretched her hurt leg but also moved the toes in the Stretching movement.

Could this be a bad sprain or strain? Or could it be a break or fracture? The leg is the same today. She is still holding it straight out, won't walk on it, won't even set it down on the ground. She doesn't bend or move it either. She is eating but you can tell that her leg is paining her.

How humane would it be to give the leg a few days before taking her to the Vet's? If it doesn't show improvement in a few days I will take her to the Vet's.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Better go to the Vet, you just don't know and it's physical disability.

Brandy had a sprained muscle between her front shoulders and I couldn't tell except when she was chasing something.

She just needed anti-inflamitory and to be kept from jumping down(her butler assisted) and it took a few weeks to recover.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Would it be Humane to wait for a few days being deciding on the trip to the Vet's? If its a sprain or a strain she might start to show improvement by then.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Rachel, I can't even watch animal cops, so my answer is going to be to think of it as if you had a ailement as a broken finger and you would want to see a doctor right away.

I think it is an emergency to have a physical problem because the Kitty just can't communicate like we can, and if it gets worse you'll feel bad.

I probally even put my cat's health ahead of mine because I am the one that took responcibility and to let her down in that respect would not be right. I can't bear to see them uncomfortable when it comes to health.

So, get a Vet on the phone or go see one and start getting a proper diagnosis and you'll feel better too.

There are Vets that will even make a house call, which maybe a good option.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with Cat Daddy. Especially since she's outdoors, if her leg is hurt she can't defend herself or escape fast if she needs to. She may have just sprained it or she may have somethingstuck in her pad, but you won't know without seeing a vet.
I would bring her to the vet, but if you really need to wait a day or so, I'd at least keep her indoors. She can rest it safely and hopefully avoid making it worse.
She's beautiful, by the way!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Here's the thing in situations like this-
If one of my animals is in a questionable state it drives me nuts worrying about it. That "should I go to the vet or not?" internal dialogue just will not stop repeating in my brain. My eyes follow their every move- often to the point where they start acting even more strangely.

So it is so worth the $30 or so to just take the animal in and get some answers and peace of mind.

And in this case something is obviously wrong. Waiting usually increases the final costs not to mention that the animal may be in pain- cats are pretty good at hiding things like that.
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

We can guess all we want, but it's still guessing. There's no way anyone here could, nor want to, make diagnoses online. Since there's a definite problem with her leg, I would take her in soon. At the very least she can get a kitty version of Aleve to help with the pain.

EDIT: Now I have more than a minute to post, I can finish this reply. I typed the above right after I just finished running my Mozart to the vet because he seemed to be hurting somewhere, but I couldn't pinpoint it. He wasn't limping or anything, but I could tell something was wrong. Turns out he injured his back. While there's nothing to do but wait it out, he got some kitty pain meds (Metacam) so at least he's not hurting meantime.

I would take aspirin if I badly sprained a wrist or ankle, I do the same for my kitties.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

I'm glad that I waited because her paw/leg does appear to be improving. She still won't walk on it or put it down on the ground but she does appear to be moving it more. Today when I went out to check on her not only was she outside of the garage but when she saw me she kind of stretched out her hurt paw/leg. Later when I checked on her she was sleeping in the garage on the sleeping bag. She again stretched her legs and spread her toes in the stretch movement. I was checking her paw/leg when she kind of started to move the leg in a playful manner. The leg appears to be healing well. It still pains her and she won't put any weight on it but I think that it is slowly getting better.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I think Nanook made 2 good points to consider,
Quote:
if her leg is hurt she can't defend herself or escape fast if she needs to. She may have just sprained it or she may have somethingstuck in her pad, but you won't know without seeing a vet.
And,
Quote:
keep her indoors. She can rest it safely and hopefully avoid making it worse.
Cats mask their weaknesses very well, and I do hope you can consider what is posted.

Thanks for the Update, I was hoping you wouldn't get scared away because we all love our cats and only want the best for them.

There are alot of postings that are quite obvious when the cat needs a Vet and to me I would consider your situation that serious.

I am not fully aware of what you are obviously, but a cat limping around isn't normal either and I hope you can get it fixed for her.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Well, like I said if the paw/leg isn't showing improvement then I will take her to a Vet to have it checked out. It is however showing some improvement and if it keeps improving then there won't be any need to have her taken to the Vet's. If however its not improving well by the next few days then I will take her to see a Vet. I am watching her closely and keeping a eye on her. I have been noticing improvement which makes me think that it was/is only a sprain or a strain that will take time to heal.
Advertisement