Tricks for eating leftover canned food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Tricks for eating leftover canned food?

My cats will scarf down canned food when it is fresh out of the can, but once it is refrigerated, they want nothing to do with it. I've tried reheating it in the microwave, reheating it with warm water, leaving it refrigerated in the can, refrigerating it in a tupperware container -- they just don't like leftovers! Anyone have tips/tricks to feeding leftovers? I hate wasting food like this.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow" -- Mark Twain
Hippyhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Open less food, serve smaller portions but more often and do not refrigerate leftovers. Left in the can at room temperature with the lid loosely covering the can the food will still be in great shape 2-3 hours later, good enough for them to want to eat it again.
The only other thing you can do is put the food out and forget about it.
It will not go bad, and hours later it will still taste and smell a million times better to them than food you've tampered with in an effort to preserve it.

They don't mind if the food gets crusty, we do. We are the ones who think crusty food is something terrible. It isn't.

They care about smell, taste and texture. Whatever you do with the food, you change all of those and that's why your cats will not eat such food.

When you carefully examine refrigerated food, the first thing you notice is that it doesn't smell the same any more. That alone is enough for many cats to reject it.

Adding water means a major change and watered up food (even watered up fresh food) is a huge big turnoff for many cats, even some that are otherwise not finicky.

Etc, etc, etc.

Basically, it's not leftovers that cats don't like. They will happily eat up food you leave out at room temperature.
When you refrigerate, warm up, water up food, the changes in smell, taste and texture become very noticeable and because it's so different, such food is no longer palatable to them. And so they refuse to eat it.
Meowmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Ahhh...I was under the impression that leaving out food was bad.

(Start b*tch session...) You know, you try to do the best for your cats by researching on foods, etc., only to find that it is contradicting...I'm about to give up and start feeding them whatever they want to eat. One cat has an allergy to chicken, so it's hard enough to find something that he can eat, let alone WILL eat.

Thanks for the info, Meowmie -- I will try leaving it out covered and see what happens. I do notice that if the cold food/watered down food sits out long enough, they will nibble at it.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow" -- Mark Twain
Old 03-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

This is one topic where Meowmie and I have disagreed before, and I still do -- I don't think it's a good idea to leave canned food out. And some canned cat food does say "Refrigerate after opening" on the label, so the manufacturer agrees. And everything I know about canning and processing tells me not to leave it out.

But she does bring up some excellent points about smell, taste and texture. And since I can't really offer an alternative solution, I guess I'm not much help, because I have the same problem of leftover cat food. Sometimes mixing in yesterday's food with today's freshly opened food works -- if you're using more than a can a day. And if one of your cats eats anything, like Rocket, you can save the leftovers for that cat and give the finicky cats the fresh food. And my cats do like the "gravy" that I make by adding warm water. But all these tricks still don't solve the initial problem of a finicky cat that only eats food fresh out of the can.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
I don't think it's a good idea to leave canned food out.
It may not be a good idea, but when you see for yourself for more than thirty years (with all kinds of different foods) that it doesn't do any harm, then you know it's all right.

I gave up on trying to refrigerate food (more than once in fact over all these years) when I had the same experiences Hippyhart talks about.
Looking at and smelling the food convinced me that my cats were right when they refused to eat it. (I wouldn't eat a piece of ham that changed that much overnight in the refrigerator.)

And I honestly don't think they are being finicky when they do that. Since food has to smell "right" for a cat to eat it and they actually decide what they will and will not eat based on how something smells, I believe they are only following their instincts, instincts which perhaps are supposed to protect them. Anyway, I really can't blame them when they refuse to eat something that I think should be all right.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I just know there's bacteria growing in there when it sits out. The only way bacteria wouldn't grow in there is if there were enough preservatives to choke a cat.

Deb, do you know if there has been anything published about whether or not that bacterial growth is harmless to cats? I suppose it could be ... I just don't know. I'm not discounting your own experience; I do find it intriguing that you've never had any problem, which flies in the face of generally accepted practice. Still, one person's experience is just anecdotal. And there may be something unique about your situation. If there's anything out there in the literature supporting you, I'm certainly open to investigating it.

Deb is the forum researcher. If anybody can find out, she can.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I just leave it out. When I have to save the food, I freeze the food instead of refrigerate it. Freezing changes the smell and texture of the food less than refrigerating for some reason.

One of the cats I used to have used to only eat FROZEN canned food in the summer, like a cat popsicle or something.....it was most interesting.
roseeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sheng-Mei, that's hilarious about the cat food popsicle -- you should market that as your own idea.

Also, thanks for your input, Tim -- I try to keep one can going at a time, and I do have a little piggy of a cat (Mom) when it comes to dry food, but wet food is a whole other ball game. My cats are very picky about their wet food -- they will only eat certain flavors and consistencies. They just "know" when I mix the old with the new, so that really doesn't help.

Leaving out the food doesn't seem that bad to me -- I leave stuff out all the time and eat it when it's a couple hours old (I love leftovers!). If it is bad, well, there can't be that much more vomiting than there already is in this house.

Another question for you, Meowmie -- have you ever had experience with a cat that will not eat a particular food after he has vomited it up?

Since Nico has gotten sick, any dry food that he has vomited up he will no longer eat. I think we've managed to get his vomiting under control now that we know the cause, but it has become harder and harder to find a food that doesn't have chicken and he hasn't eaten it and vomited back up. Do you think it is a lost cause to try to get him to eat these foods again or do you have any suggestions?

Old 03-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hippyhart, answers to your questions first.

Even with two cats with IBD, I haven't had the same experience - cats refusing to eat food that made them sick. Whatever the cause, I think when this happens it's a very good thing, it makes your work with the diet so much easier. A blessing in disguise I would say, so definitely don't try to force your kitty to eat something again that he doesn't want to.
Putting that food back in the diet would make the existing allergy a whole lot worse with serious consequences.

I can recommend Prairie brand canned food if you have to avoid chicken. This brand makes it easy to do that. I have never checked out the Prairie dry version, so I can only say, find out what kind of protein sources they are using. Maybe they have something without chicken.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmie
Even with two cats with IBD
Hi Meowmie,

I was just wondering, what do you think is causing your cats to have Inflammatory Bowel Disease ?
fuzzywuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement