Cat frequently licks lips - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Cat frequently licks lips

I've noticed recently that Mellie seems to be licking her lips an awful lot -- much more than I've noticed in the past. In a human, I'd say someone who does this might have a dry mouth. Is a cat licking its lips frequently as sign of any medical condition I should have checked out? She isn't drinking any more water than usual. Thanks.....
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

One of our cats did this when she had dry mouth from medication, and another when he was nauseated. (I don't know if cats would do this for any other reason.)

Is she getting anything, anything at all besides her regular food? (Supplements, medication, treats, cat milk, whatever.)

Also, are you using any flea treatment that might be licked off?

Is there a particular time of day when the lip licking is more noticeable?

Have you observed it in relation to mealtimes? I mean, does it become more noticeable an hour or two after eating, or at any other particular time?
Meowmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

No meds or supplements. Revolution was applied a week ago, but I think she was doing before then. Previous application was a month before that. I haven't noticed whether it's more pronounced at any certain time of day, in relation to mealtime or not.

Might it just be a stress reaction? I haven't watched closely enough for long enough, but I don't think she does it much while resting.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Stress reaction? I really wouldn't think so. (Never seen that.)

Have you checked the inside of her mouth to see whether the tongue and gums are moist and have a good healthy color?

I know you won't listen to me, but since this has been going on for some time, I believe a food trial would be in order, especially since lip licking can be linked to a gastrointestinal problem.

And - yeah, I know, I know, more unsolicited meddling - if I were you, I would also give her a bath, wash off the flea treatment and not apply any more for at least several months.

I really think you need to do some detective work to figure out what's going on. A food trial and getting rid of the flea treatment would be the first things I'd do in this situation.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Awwww....poor girl, she just had a bath not too long before I put the flea treatment on!! You think it's still ingestible this long after? I though it was absorbed into the skin.

Would there be other symptoms I could look for to corroborate a gastrointestinal problem? I'd really hate to go through a food trial. She's a picky eater and it's taken me a year to get her to eat quality wet food.

I always listen to you, Deb.....I may not agree with you sometimes, but I always listen.

(Nervous lip-licking is a common stress-coping mechanism in people, that's why it came to mind)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Revolution: I would stop it and stay away from it based on this and many unanswered questions I (still) have:

http://www.revolution4dogs.com/content. ... CN&sec=100

Quote:
Revolution is generally well-tolerated. In studies, <1% of cats and dogs experienced digestive upset. Approximately 1% of cats experienced temporary hair loss at the application site. Do not use in sick, weak or underweight animals.
I would wash it off very thoroughly, even though it may not wash off, but I would give a long, thorough bath just the same and I would wait and watch and go to the food trials only if I saw no change in the lip licking after a reasonable amount of time. I would most definitely get rid of the flea treatment first and stay away from it.

My thinking is, there is really no way to know what these things can do, and I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to tell me everything, even if the manufacturer knows.
Also, individual reactions can be unpredictable and unexpected, and more severe in some animals than in others.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PS:

As far as the food is concerned, first I would want to find out whether I was dealing with dehydration and a food reaction that might be causing dry mouth and, from there, whether something in the diet might be causing mild nausea.

Stools don't always have telltale signs when something is wrong, but looking at the stools would be one thing you could do anyway.

If there is no vomiting, there is really nothing concrete you can go on, and so if you want to find out anything, a food trial is practically the only thing you can do. Most digestive problems don't show up in bloodwork results, blood glucose, liver values and some other things would be the only things you could check on for clues. But I don't think you'd want to to go that far if there are no other signs besides the lip licking.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmie
Quote:
Revolution ......Approximately 1% of cats experienced temporary hair loss at the application site.
AHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Twinkee has a bald spot right where I put the Revolution on him!!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

And don't forget, it can also cause digestive upset.

Quote:
<1% of cats and dogs experienced digestive upset.
I believe there is something here to think about.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My girl kitty licks her lips all the time. She passes all her health checkups with flying colors, dentally and otherwise. It seems just to be a nervous habit. She's a former feral that isn't 100% socialized, the scarediest of my scaredy cats.
Jet Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement