I can feel kittens!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default I can feel kittens!!

Hi, I dont know how far along my cat is but I can feel the babies moving around! Yay! So how long till she has her babies, she is huge, there is no way she can last much longer! I think she also has milk but does that matter, will her milk come in after she has her babies? thanks
Home to quality UKC RedBone CoonHounds and AKC Miniature pinschers
sixshooterfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Let's move this to Breeding and see if someone there can help you out
Old 05-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Her milk will come in, thank goodness. In the rare cases, you can buy kitty milk and some kitten bottles. The kittens move around quite a bit the last two weeks (although they have been moving longer). You can rest your hand on Mother's abdomen gently, but do not try to palpate the kittens.

Be prepared for the birth, and watch for a discharge the last few days. Mother cats want a dim, private area for the birth. Line a box with newspapers and towels, and have extra towels, scissors, alcohol to sterilize them, and the vet and ER vets numbers handy. This is a minimum. There will be a mucous plug released shortly before labor begins. Here's a web site that might be a help to you. However, the members here will help you with your concerns too!

http://www.netcat.org/birth.html

Another good site:

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth ... irth_3.htm

There might be a mite too much information, but much of this will be helpful. I would let mother bring the kittens into the world on her own, if possible, and help only if she doesn't remove the sac quickly enough...if another kitten is coming, for instance. Then remove the sac, clean the kittens mouth, hold the kitten gently, but securely, and shake the kitten downwards to help clean the breathing passages. Of course you don't allow the head to move during the shaking down. Do it only 3 times, or as necessary. Then rub the babies up gently with a towel to dry them and get them "going." Good luck.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

HI, thanks for the help, those sights were very helpful. Tonight I think might be the night. For the last 2 days she has had a discharge that she cleans constantly, it is kinda brownish.....not sure, by the time I see it it is dried on her vulva. But the thing that really has stood out is she was doing something really weird today. She was laying on her side with her back legs tucked up and she was , well it looked like having contractions, tummy would tighten and her back legs would tuck in towards her belly further. Really weird, not like she was in any distress, just uncomfortable and the weird part is she was purring lol. I think to night may be the night, tell me if I am wrong!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Hi, just wanted to also let you know her temp is 100.8 . i will have to read again, I think it is if they are under 98 to sxpect kittens? thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Got kittens?

It sure sounds close with the tucking up, clenching middle and purring. The purring is a calming thing cats do when they are nervous or injured (in pain/discomfort). It releases endorphins that make them feel good.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That sounds like labor to me. I imagine the kittens are here by now. If they aren't, I would call the vet.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Hi, nope no kittens yet, called the vet and she said that she is just doing her thing lol. She is NOT in any distress, she will do that tucking up thing for a little bit then walk around, eat and act like nothing is going on. Right now she is sitting right by the oor and she is squinting her eyes allot, she started doing that yesterday, she seems pretty calm today, which is not really like her, usually she is zooming all over the house. Now she just layed down a little bit more onto her side and is kinda ticking her butt up in the air lol. I am gonna "try" and take her temp again, that is never fun and she will never hold still for it ugh. I want her to hurry up so I can get some sleep! Any other signs I should be looking for, yesterday she was using the litter box like every 30 minutes and really digging at it. Seems like she is just getting herself ready........trying to be patient!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

took her temp again, yesterday afternoon it was 100.8 today it is 99.8, so I think that is pretty good sign! Yay I am loading pictures to show you guys what she is doing, thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Good! You'll notice that she wants a lot of attention the closer she gets to the birth. She might want you with her. My Siamese cried and cried if I left her, so I gave her my hand to help her push, and she used it! Oh, what a sweetheart she was! Some cats want privacy. The temperature drop indicates birth within 24 hours, normally. It is more consistent with dogs, but I'm betting on it! (if I were a betting person! ) We'll look forward to the pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement