How late in pregnancy can you spay? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default How late in pregnancy can you spay?

I think one of my ferals is pregnant, and I'm stuck about what to do. She hasn't been vetted yet (thanks giving made it difficult, but I'm hoping to get them in this week) so I'm not sure if it's a wormy belly, or babies. She's emaciated, so it's even more pronounced, but it looks like a baby belly to me.

Problem is, is that if I can't get her spayed this Tuesday, we have to wait until next Tuesday. That's a week and a half, and if she's showing this much already, I wonder how late into her potential pregnancy that takes us. I've also been told that the feral clinic I'm going to may not spay her if they suspect she's that far along. I'm stuck because I'm leaving for Christmas for 2 weeks in the middle of December and am having a hard enough time trying to get someone to watch 4 feral cats for me, never mind 4 ferals AND a litter of kittens (and I have 3 dogs and a house kitty).

If it can be done safely, I will seek out another vet even if that means paying full price (I'm trying to take advantage of a low cost feral program). And truth be told, the less unwanted cats, the better, you know?

I'm just stressing because I didn't plan on having 4 foster kitties over the holidays.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I had Pretty spayed around Christmas time several years ago. She was HUGE, so I think she was within days, certainly less than a week, from delivering.

I had trapped her first litter of four who were about 9-11 weeks old and had them in my bathroom to tame. I had no place to put her and a new litter, so I had to opt to lose her second litter to save her and her first litter.
I hated doing it, but now I don't regret having done it.

Pretty was spayed and released back to my property/barn and took 14 months before she would let me touch her and now, about 3 years after the spay, she will let me pick her up and hold her for short periods of time. Her babies all were adopted as pairs into great homes.

A friend recently borrowed my cat trap and trapped a pregnant feral. That night as she was taken to the vet to be spayed, she gave birth. She tried to keep the feral mamma and kittens to care for them and it ended horribly and tragically with the feral mother cannibalizing her litter. Only one kitten survived. Feral mamma was spayed and released back to the area she was trapped from. Friend is still trying to trap that cat's first litter who are now juvenile cats.
Because of this, I will probably never recommend trying to keep a feral mother with newborns captive.

Best of luck to you...
h
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yeah, I'm worried about socializing mama and babies, when mama is wild. However, this little kitty will let me pick her up already. She's VERY sweet, but I've had many cats who are nasty mean, and then get pregnant are big mushes. Also, if she is pregnant, she got caught on her first heat. She's a little thing.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
...this little kitty will let me pick her up already.
Hm. Shadow showed up at my shed, hugely pregnant and let me pick her up. I suspect she was a drop-off and not truly feral. I brought her inside and she kittened in less than 10 days. Kittens were adopted out and I still have Shadow.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I don't know whether these kittens were dropped or born outside, or what. But she and all the other kitties are rough looking, skinny, and very fearful. The adult cat that I have, I deffinitly think is feral (scares, bites, ticks on the face, very agressive, etc) and they all seem to be running together, which is why I've dubbed it "mama cat". It doesn't have a big head, so I'm assuming it's a female. This is why I tend to think these are her kittens, hence them being feral.

I don't know... she let's me hold her and pet her, but if given the chance she will run and hide.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

She's probably a stray, one who got out a while ago.

To give a different opinion, I don't believe in killing babies of any size. Life is too precious to destroy.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I don't know about "a while ago", she's not that old. IF she is pregnant, it was on her first heat. And since she's been running with these other kitties, I tend to think they may all be from the same litter. They are the only feral/strays I've seen in this neighborhood in the 2 years I've lived here. It would be unlikley for several young kittens from different litters of different ages, and an adult cat, to just show up. Don't you think?

The whole thing makes me crazy... and furious, especially after running into my nieghbors down the street. I doubt very much these cats came from her. While she was weird, those cats have been fed, and didn't bolt when I came around.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yes, that's true. There could be a family looking for her. I hope she has a microchip!

I adopted a stray who was very young and later, we discovered to our surprise, she was pregnant. She had a large litter, and had to have a caesarean to deliver the last kitten. It was dead. She was just too young to have that many kittens, and only one kitten lived after a few weeks. Of course, the vet spayed her after the caesarean section.

We tried, but never found her family, so we kept her. I think she got lost and might have traveled quite a distance. She had a good home here, though.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

If she did come from a family, she has been out for a while. She is VERY skinny, and her coat is in bad condition. She's been out for a while. I really think she's feral, but just very glad to be inside. She is very skitish, and if given the chance will bolt and try to hide, BUT she's handle-abe and enjoys attention.. unlike the other one. He much prefers to be left alone.

Speaking of which, my daughter is asleep, time to go play with kittens!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hi! I'm picking up two Siamese on Wednesday and the female was allegedly impregnated last week so I was wondering or rather clarify if there won't be any danger spaying a possibly pregnant cat?
Advertisement