My cat's in labor, but not giving birth... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default My cat's in labor, but not giving birth...

My cat is pregnant(obviously) and she's asleep in my lap, but she's having contractions every 3 minutes on the dot. She's not even so much as stirring during the contractions though, she's just sleeping like a log! Should I be worried? :\

I've dealt with pregnant cats before, but not for a few years, so maybe I'm just remembering things differently, but I've never heard of a cat sleeping through contractions.

This is her first litter(and LAST! I wish she wasn't even having THIS one, but it's a little too late for that. Ugh!), so you'd think that she'd be freaking out. This all just seems very odd. When she's awake she seems normal, playful, and is eating and drinking.

Any advice?
WhatToDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Re: My cat's in labor, but not giving birth...

Our cat when she had her first litter was very affectionate. I don't remmember her having contractions while sitting with us. But when it was tim for her to have them trust me she was no where near us. She had gone yo where she was going to have them(we had a box set up for her). Sodon't worry when your cat is ready to have them she won't be sitting on your lap.

My kitties are just my furry children!!
brunette_kitty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

One of my cats gave birth 5 years ago(she got preggers at 4 months old...at the time I'd been told cats couldn't be spayed til 6 months. :\ ) and she tried to give birth in my lap. She just hopped into my lap, started purring, and then started having contractions. It seems to be my fate, lol.

However, I've never heard of a cat sleeping through contractions. Is this just the beginning stages and perhaps the contractions are strong enough yet to bother her much? From what I've read the first stages of labor can last quite a long time, 12-36 hours, but the 2nd stage(the hard contractions) is when they start running to their nesting spot.

My cat has been digging around in the places I left available to her, but doesn't seem to like any of them. I made her a nice nest box, but dug at my wardrobe instead, so I opened it up and cleared out a bottom shelf for her and lined it with a towel and newspapers, then she decided she wanted the shelf above that one... So, needless to say, she's got a nestbox, 2 wardrobe cubies, my bed(I hope she doesn't choose THAT spot! lol), and I just opened up my closet to let her have at it and see if she finds anywhere in there she likes. So far, she doesn't like any of the spots. sigh.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Still no sign of kittens...

She's just sitting in the window sill staring outside like it's any ole day and earlier she was running around the room playing with a string.

Maybe I'm just going crazy, but I could have SWORN I felt her having contractions cause her belly was getting hard every 3 minutes on the dot! Maybe I should go take a nap...
Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

My oldest queen slept through quite heavy contractions. As long as the cat is calm and seem to do well, just take it easy.

If labour starts and she tries to push without getting any kittens out (for about an hour) you need to get her to the vet ASAP.

Good luck!
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Phew! I'm glad my cat isn't the only crazy one, lol!

She still hasn't shown any signs of being fully in labor and is acting normal. Do you think it's possible for cats to have braxton hicks contractions? Hmmm...

Well, I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully all goes well and we have some healthy kittens soon!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sol
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatToDo
Phew! I'm glad my cat isn't the only crazy one, lol!

She still hasn't shown any signs of being fully in labor and is acting normal. Do you think it's possible for cats to have braxton hicks contractions? Hmmm...
Oh yeah, I'm sure they do.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Okay. In that case, I'm not too worried.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Babies yet??? Not at our house . . . I was thinking maybe false contractions too. Weird! I guess if it can happen in humans don't see why it couldn't happen in cats.
Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Nope, no kittens yet, but she's in one of the cubies of my wardrobe right now digging like crazy. Maybe she's finally going to have them today! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement