Siamese Kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Siamese Kitten

I am looking to get a Siamese kitten in the next 6 weeks, is there anything I need to look out for with this breed?
DellNec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Active and lots of talking
Old 04-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Is there anything that I should ask the breeder?
DellNec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The sticky at the top of this forum:

A good breeder

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Who's the mother and father? Can I see them? Are they up to date on their shots? At what age do you let your kittens go up for adoption?

Here are several links with information Questions to Ask a Cat Breeder - For Dummies 15 Questions You Should Ask Cat Breeders siamese cat breeders checklist

And here is info all about the breed Traditional Siamese Breed FAQ
Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Get ear plugs. As long as you love a talky cat they're fantastic.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph View Post
Get ear plugs. As long as you love a talky cat they're fantastic.
Haha this. I actually do sleep with ear plugs. Apollo is a constant talker.

I have two siamese mixes and they're very very active cats. They have a lot of energy and are very social. Make sure you have a good scratching post for your kitten, preferably something (s)he can climb (you could start with a small nest/post for a kitten and get something bigger when (s)he gets older).

Siamese love to play, as do kittens in general, so you'll want to pick up some toys, although the right ones may depend on your individual cat. My cats enjoy ping pong balls, crinkle balls, and other small toys they can bat around. A sturdy toy like a big soft catnip mouse might be a good idea, as sometimes they play a little rough. This thing has also been a big hit with my cats: Star Chaser Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy at PETCO It's nice because it gives them something they can play with easily when you're not around (if you have to go to work, school, etc.).

Also be prepared to devote a decent amount of time to interactive play as well. A feather wand or something else they can chase is good for this.

Siamese are definitely not usually mellow or anti-social cats. They are very "in your face" and your new kitten will probably want lots of attention. And like Dave said, may yowl a lot to let you know.

And lastly, be prepared to have lots of patience! Kittens get into everything, and siamese cats , being very energetic and curious, do this doubly so. It's been a slow process teaching my cats what is okay and what is not okay. If Apollo is any indication of the usual personality of the breed, they can be a little stubborn, and you may have to go through lessons multiple times. Usually any persistent bad behavior on the part of my cats means they're getting bored, so I take that as a cue to give them some extra play and attention to help them burn off all that energy they have pent up.

Oh, and try to get your kitten used to having nail trimmings done at an early age! Because siamese are so playful (and usually will want you to be somehow involved in their play) you may frequently find your hand in a prickly kitty beartrap, and when this happens, it's much better when they have trimmed nails.

Last edited by saitenyo; 04-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.
saitenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

cool, a siamese kitten!

I used to have a half/siamese girl called Sun, who actually looks just like Apollo. Looked. She was such a good talker. She demanded a lot of attention too.

Good luck, and send us pics when you have him/her!
Lenkolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

i have 2 pure bred siamese 5 month old kittens and 2 siamese mixes that are 2 years old. they are all very talkative and energetic. also i dont know if it is just mine or not but they are definitely in your face and love to lay right on top of what i am doing to get attention!! if food is ever left out or if i am eating they also try to snatch it!! lol i have taught my older cats not to do this but the kittens don't seem to get it just yet....my sister in law had pancakes and set it down to grab a drink and one of the kittens snatched it and ran off! i have heard of other siamese being like this especially from the breeder where we got the kittens...but i wouldn't give them up for the world!!! i am totally in love with the breed. if i'm bored i can just talk to them and they will talk back!! its great especially when you are lonely!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella1623 View Post
if i'm bored i can just talk to them and they will talk back!! its great especially when you are lonely!!!

We have long conversations all the time and we both want to get the last word in (PC people stop reading here). It's like when you're you're leaving an Asian shopkeepers. They just consider it bad luck not to be the last to speak.

My Siamese is loud, demanding and the sweetest little munckin you could ever meet.
Advertisement