Pure bread cats SO EXPENSIVE - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Pure bread cats SO EXPENSIVE

So when I was little I had a Ragdoll kitty, was most precious thing in the world, I been considering getting a third cat, all my cats have always been cats from shelters that needed a homes. So I started looking at breeders in NYC area to see how expensive a ragdoll kitten would be, and OMIGOSH, $800 easily to start... I guess if you want a cat to show etc you dish out that money, but I just want one for the way it looks, I dont care if it has all its "purebread" certificates and stamps. Needless to say I am not getting one, maybe when I win the lotto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I love pure bread. Especially rye, no seeds.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I love pure bread. Especially rye, no seeds.
yeah really.

You can get a ragdoll equivalent at the pound. handle a bunch of cats, find one that is really relaxed in your arms. Ragdolls don't have an exclusive pedigree. Just look for a cat with a great disposition and you're almost 800 dollars ahead!!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

ROFL silly me thinking I can actually spell.... sigh
Old 10-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
yeah really.

You can get a ragdoll equivalent at the pound. handle a bunch of cats, find one that is really relaxed in your arms. Ragdolls don't have an exclusive pedigree. Just look for a cat with a great disposition and you're almost 800 dollars ahead!!
I volunteer with a group that is not a pound per say but they foster and adopt cats. I have never seen anything close to a siamese, ragdoll or persian in all the time I been there. Thats the only reason why I thought of looking into breeders. I did serach online on petfinders also... but no luck. Oh wells, looks like I'm just going to stick to 2 cats for now.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

They are sort of expensive, but you're paying for (hopefully) responsible breeding - where breeders do their best to weed out flaws within the breed, breed for temperament, have their animals health checked, socialize their kittens well, etc, so it can be worth it. Also, moggies can GET quite expensive, too.

My last cat was a shelter moggy. His adoption fee was around $150. He came home with conjunctivitis and an upper respiratory infection and took some time and many follow-up vet visits to get healthy, particularly to get rid of the conjunctivitis. One night, his breathing was so labored I ended up having to take him to a pet ER. That cat ended up being a $1000 moggy by the time I got him well, but he was as much worth every penny as my purebred is.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

They can be gotten for free. I have a Ragdoll and a Siamese Colorpoint that I didn't pay for. I didn't kow about either breed before I got them.

The Raggies wasn't getting along with another cat in the breeder's house (my next door neighbor) so she came to live with me.

Becasue I treated the Raggie well my Vet gave me a pure bred colorpoint that was confiscated from a breeder.

If you Google you will find them.

Google thru Petfinder.

Times are hard. Raggies are going homeless.

Also, a pet quality Raggie should only be about $600. But you can find them in shelters.

<< Note Raggie at left
Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Be careful if someone (or some shelter) gives you a purebreed for low cost. There must be some problems. My friend got a "retired" Bengal for only $400 last year from an unknown breeder, and guess what -- that cat is WILD! She can literally rip out your eyes if you get closer to her. And that's after she is at my friend's place for 2 month (she did everything right). So she contacted the breeder, begging her to take the cat back (asking for only half amount she paid back), with no luck. That lady obviously knows the problem very well.

So if something is too good to be true, then it is not true, or not as good as it sound.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I'm not sure about NYC, but here in Ontario Ragdolls definitely don't cost $800. Raggies are one of the most common breed, and thus one of the cheapest. I can easily find Raggie breeders that ask for $600 or lower. If it goes beyound $700, then the kitty must come neutured, so the overall price is the same or even lower.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

Everything in NYC is ridiculously expensive.
When I went to the breeder, the kittens I looked at were sealpoint and bluepoint. I went cause they dont advertise their price online, they make you go in, fall in love with a kitten and then tell you the price lol.

I will keep my eye out for kitten on the various websites and cross my fingers

Last edited by doodlebug; 10-18-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: word choice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread