Looking for Show tips - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Looking for Show tips

Good morning fellow kitty lovers!
In a few weeks time Joy will be heading on a road trip to partake in her first cat show! Due to the brown coloring on her chin she is uneligible to show in her breed class but we figured it would be a great experience just to show her as our lovable household pet.

I was wondering if any of you show your cats and if so any tips for a novice such as myself. What is the best way to bath a cat? Any suggestions for carrier anxiety? Etc...

Thanks!
Ragdoll_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

For carrier anxiety it was always recommended to me to put a shirt I've already worn in the crate and to keep it covered with a blanket to lessen the stress.

Sorry I don't have more to add ): but good luck! (;

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
kittyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Showing a cat is a lot of fun (or should be) if the cat is outgoing to strangers, confident in its personality, laid back and unflappable, the cat should do well. Though some cats are overwhelmed by the noise and hustle and bustle and crowds at shows and would just rather be somewhere else. So it really depends a lot on the cat's personality.

Here's some info on HHP (household pet) class. Usually it's a cat with lots of animation beautiful expression, gorgeous coat and condition that will go home with ribbons.
hhp

Bathe the cat the day before....if the coat is greasy, a little "Dawn" dishing washing detergent as a first shampoo will remove that, then follow by a pet shampoo. Ideally, you should bathe the cat a week or so before the show to see how the coat will look. Dry the coat with hair dryer as much as possible combing and fluffing it out with a steel or chrome Greyhound type of comb. Don't forget to do the under parts and between the back legs and bloomers. Before each judging backcomb the coat against the lie, and then very barely comb it with the lie. You want the coat to stand out. If you have some 'finishing spray' spay it on lightly.

Study videos of cats being judged, and mimic the handling and movement the judgement make. If you have a dog crate you can use this as a substitute "judging cage". Mimic how the judge takes the cat out of the cage (always back end facing the judge), hold it up in the air and then place it on the table and mimic how the judge touches the cat, looks into its eyes, feels the head, body, fluffs the coat. And get out a 'teaser toy' and see if you can get the cat to play a bit on the table. Put the cat back in the cage front first. Use the teaser toy again on the cage, and then praise the cat and give her treats. If you have a tape/DVD of crowd noises, you could play that. Give your cat 'practice judgings' a few times a day, and only give it treats after the judging, not at any other times during the day. Always hold your catin a 'football' hold lying on one arm with a couple of fingers up on her chest so that you have good control, and hold the back legs with other hand....you certainly won't want the cat to jump or wriggle away while you're going from your bench to the judging cages. If you don't carry your cat that way now, practice it. You will have familiarized your cat with how it will be handled in the judging ring (so it isn't confused this person is a vet!), and when it gets to the show the judging won't be a surprise. She's a beautiful cat with a wonderful expression and I think you should do very well.
Good luck! and let us know how you do.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Awesome tips from Ami! A well-groomed cat is going to definitely stand out, especially in the pet class. Hypo-allergenic shampoo (should say safe for cats on it) and no conditioners. Cats are greasy and all the built up oils need to be removed. Using any conditioners or sprays will weigh the coat down and not give as nice a finish (unless you are very knowledgeable when it comes to ingredients and how products will affect the coat). The coat must be fully blown dry and combed out. Use a finer comb on the legs going against the grain of the coat (so start at the end of the foot and go up the leg). Make sure the nails are trimmed and ears are cleaned also.
NJgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Tomorrow is Joy's big day! Thanks for all the tips and tricks Wish us luck!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Good luck...take lots of pictures!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thanks! Send some good ragdoll vibes my way! Joy is washed, dryed...nails are trimmed and she is ready to go!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Did you check with the breeder about showing her? Most don't want pet quality kittens being shown, thankfully where I live it's not allowed, pedigrees can't be put in the HHP section.

Your breeder is also the best one to ask for grooming tips, she'll know how best to groom her lines and coat textures.
spotty cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

It was actualy the breeders idea She wanted to show her as Ragdoll but she would not qualify because of the color on her chin so we entered her in as pet quality instead!
Over here there is nothing against having a pedigree in HHP!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Well that's great if your breeder doesn't mind, hope you have a fun day at the show

I know in the US pedigrees can be shown in HHP, in my association it's for domestics not pedigree cats that aren't show quality.
spotty cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement