Looking for a "Lap Cat" Breed. Suggestions? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

It's ok, I understand. I just don't want anyone to judge me right away because of my age (which has happened to me a lot in my life). I'm glad for your concerns, and of course I have taken these things into consideration. An adult cat may just be what I am looking for, since kittens are pretty crazy, while being adorable. I've looked into colleges and because of my family's financial capabilities and stuff, I doubt I will be that far away. It's just too hard on my life, and unless I get some crazy scholarship from some place, it's most likely that I'll stay within hours of my own home.

I know this is a changeable time in life, and I want to note that I have taken these things into sincere consideration. I'm just looking for a cat to keep with me and to be my buddy through this time. Keep the posts coming <3

Last edited by marie73; 01-06-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: font AGAIN
Kyla Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Even if you do want to go with a purebred cat, I'm sure that there are breeders out there that have a few adult cats who had to be returned to them for whatever reason, or cats they can't keep with them, and are looking to be re-homed now that they're not little balls of fluff anymore.
Jakiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm not sure what you mean by shabby cats at shelters... usually if they're unhealthy or have a bad attitude it's due to where they came from or the shelter conditions being a stressful environment/easy place to pass sicknesses. Sometimes all they need is a chance in a stress free home to do a total 180.

It comes down to is this:

With a shelter cat:
  • You're saving a life.
  • They're less expensive to purchase (this does not always equal less expensive overall).
  • Come from a mixed heritage; I view this as an advantage in lifespan and health.
  • You can have the opportunity to pick out the one you want and the shelter workers would have a good idea of the type of cat to suggest.
  • You can foster a shelter cat to see if it works for you.
Purebred:
  • You can see its family tree (trace its history, if you're into that).
  • You should get a health guarantee. Meaning if there's issues, the breeder will offer to take the cat back and give you another cat.
  • May be (and should be if from a responsible breeder) tested for all known genetic problems in the breed.
  • May have a certain personality but there's no guarantee if you're getting a kitten.
  • Will not be allowed outdoors or you'll be breaking the breeders contract.
  • You will have to possibly travel long distances to visit the cattery, someone will need to take you at least once, before making a commitment to buy - you want to know where your kitten is coming from and be able to visit all the cats, not just be lead to a single viewing room. Otherwise, you'd be buying a cat sight unseen and paying for a stressful flight for it to your location.
  • When you buy a cat from a breeder, you often just see a picture or have a 30 minute or less meet up with the kitten before purchasing it. Don't make this mistake!
  • Keep in mind how important it is to get a socialized kitten. These are very formative months of their life and are the months that can entirely shape their personality. If a breeder is selling kittens before 8 weeks, or not offering you to visit their home or not allowing you to see the other cats and where they reside, if they have too many cats or too many litters, or the kitten seems skittish, do not purchase from them.
... and that's pretty much it.

Choice is yours, but those are the general facts.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 01-06-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There is NOTHING wrong with wanting a purebred cat, Kyla. Nothing at all.

You've been given lots of good information and suggestions, and I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself.

Another thought would be contacting a breeder, like Jackiepoo suggested, and seeing if they have any cats they are about to retire. That would be maybe the best of both worlds, a youngish adult, a purebred, not at full price, and you'd already know their personality.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat

So I see a few people discussing age and whether to adopt a cat before moving away to college (even if it IS only a few hours away). I really wanted a cat when I was your age, too, but then I went away to college and realized it would not have worked out. I chose instead to wait. And, my experience may not be the same as yours will be, but for what it's worth--I would not have had time to take care of a cat. There's lots of school work involved in college and going out and socializing that might take you away from the cat. If you're moving away, even if it is only a short distance from the house where the cat is, you won't be seeing the cat often enough. Honestly, if I were you, I'd just wait before adopting a cat of your own. OR Talk to your parents, see if they want to get a cat, and then you can play with it until you go to college, knowing the parents will continue to *want* to take care of the cat. (EDIT: Seems you already did, that's great!) Another option is to wait until you move to college, and foster a cat for a month or two. That way you can see just how feasible it is to have a cat while in college. Who knows--it may work out perfectly for you! At which point I'd start moving towards adoption.

Anyways, me, personally. I waited a long time til I graduated to get a cat. But honestly, it's worth it. And I have enough time to give him the attention he deserves every day now, whereas I don't think I'd have been able to in college!

Whenever you do decide to get a cat, as others have said, the best way to know what kind of personality you're getting is to adopt an adult cat. Most shelters know a *lot* about their cats' personalities, and you can find a perfect match that way.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premier Cat

You sound like a very sensible 16-year old. I was in a similar position to you, about 4 years ago, except I'm in my 50's. I had various family cats, all "moggies", and none was very affectionate. I wanted a lap cat. So, I researched various breeds and decided on a Ragdoll. After looking around, I found a reputable breeder and I adopted Muffs. She was 12 weeks old at the time and is a purebred.

On the negative side, Muffs is definitely NOT a lap cat! She hates to be handled and she will only tolerate being picked up for 2 or 3 seconds at a time, and only by me. On the positive side, she is an extremely gentle cat, very quiet, and very well behaved. She is affectionate in her own way. She likes to be in the same room as I and she will sometimes sleep at the foot of my bed. Even though I wanted a lap cat, and she is definitely not that, I still love her with all my heart and I don't regret adopting her.

I'm not saying all Ragdolls are like Muffs, but when you adopt a kitten, you "get what you get". A cat's personality is not formed until he or she older...so, you just don't know whether or not they will/won't be a lap cat. If you truly want a lap cat, I suggest adopting an older cat (2 years or older), either a shelter cat, or a retired breeder. By that age, their personality will be formed, and you'll have a good idea as to what they will be like. On the other hand, if you want to adopt a kitten, then recognize you must take your chances as to whether or not you will end up with a lap cat, regardless of breed.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I am glad for my kitties at home, and they love most everyone in our house (except Thor, who kind of likes me the best), so they aren't that upset when I'm not around.

And thank you Marie for your support - I do not doubt that shelter cats are great assets and are great sources of cats, but that doesn't mean that breeders can't be. I am not looking for any hate on breeders right now, because I know that some people are opposed to the idea. Just looking for suggestions on what kinds of cats would be good matches.

And just to point out, although this doesn't really make much of a difference to me, seeing as any cat I plan to get will be indoors, but about 99% of shelters will not let you adopt unless you sign saying that the cat will be indoors, at least in my area. The only time you can ever get outdoor cats at a shelter is if they are feral/barn cats, in which case they are usually very unsocial, and not the kind of pets I would want. That's why we ended up getting our family cats from a friend, who was perfectly fine with the cats getting some outdoors along with the shelter of the garage. I think it's kind of sad personally, because there are some perfectly good homes where the cats would be outdoors, at least better than being euthanized in a shelter.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have an older ragdoll(I adopted her at 6) and I really recommend getting an older one, possibly rescued over a kitten. Just because kittens are a handful and its hard to have 1 kitten... Kittens benefit from a playmate around the same age. With an older one you will know what it's personality is like and hey you could save a life that way!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

3Furbabies: Definitely, they are a handful. I remember when ours were babies. They were absolutely crazy! I had so many battle scars from their kitten antics, haha. I'm really considering the older cat idea - it may be the best possible option for me at this point in my life And I know there's quite the abundance of old cats, breeders and shelter cats, that need homes as well.

Susan: I didn't see your post before, but thank you for your kind insight. I don't want people to immediately take me for granted because I'm only sixteen, and I'm glad that you haven't. The older cat thing sounds like a great option - I will have to look into it.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'll echo what other's have said about getting an adult cat at least a year old rather than a kitten.
If you don't have your heart set on having a purebred, I think that adopting a shelter cat, or one in need of a new home would be a wonderful thing to do as well. Many rescues do in home fostering, and a foster family would be able to tell you about the cat's personality. Have you checked out Petfinder.com? There are plenty of cats on Craigslist that need homes too, and you can even sometimes find purebreds (not counting the BYBs that advertise there).

A lot will be changing in your life over the next decade or so, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean it is a bad idea to get a cat now. It all depends on your situation, your plans and commitments, and how your parents feel about caring for your cat when you're off at college. Having a cat can cause some conflict when it comes to finding housing, roommates, boyfriends, being away from home and such, and its understandable that people are concerned because it is important to be prepared for that. I think if you're a committed pet owner, though, and you are prepared for the extra responsibility, you will make it work regardless of your age. If you find a friendly, well adjusted cat, they will adapt as well.

I had a cat when I was a kid, and when I went to college, she stayed with my mom until I moved out of the dorms. We went through a lot of changes in the years she was with me... many different homes, different roommates and their pets, additional pets of my own, children, etc. With pets, finding places to live was a little bit harder, I paid a little bit more in rent or security deposits, a portion of my meager college income went to pet supplies, food and vet bills, but she was a special part of my life, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement