Looking for a "Lap Cat" Breed. Suggestions? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Cat

Sounds like a sphynx would be perfect for you. They are very much a velcro cat, they want to be anywhere you are and love snuggles. The only thing, make sure you look up the grooming requirements and are comfortable with it before getting one. They don't shed because they are hairless but do need frequent baths because they are oily. One bath every week or two should suffice.

JustOneMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Education?

Kyla Grace, I know this is off topic but you seem very mature, articulate and your writing abilities are superb for someone your age! I'm curious as to how you have been educated. Just curious.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Didn't follow all the debates and just want to give some personal experience on the original topic:

If you are chosing among Ragdoll, Birman, and Himmy, a Birman would fit your expectation the best. Ragdolls are affectionate and easy-going, but they are large cats in general, and because of that many of them don't like to sit on laps. They prefer sitting next to their human. I never own a Ragdoll but I do have a lot of friends who do, who all agree with this. Also there are many of Ragdoll breeders put this info on their website.

Himmalayans are basically color-point Persians, and although I never had a Himmy, I had two Persians before. It is a headache to maintain their coat. Their coat are easy to matt and if you skip grooming for one day, you won't be surprised to see knots in their fur. Also Himmy/Persian are too inactive to my like, so I never recommend this breed to anyone.

I have a Birman girl right now. She is quite affectionate and loves to hop on my laps for some snuggling time. Her fur never matt, even when I was too lazy once and didn't brush her for almost a month. She is also quite playful (but not hyper), and is beyond adorable
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Kyla Grace, I know this is off topic but you seem very mature, articulate and your writing abilities are superb for someone your age! I'm curious as to how you have been educated. Just curious.
Are 16 year olds supposed to have spelling errors and write horridly? I was writing college papers at age 17! If I was her, I would be offended by your comment!
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with Marie that there is nothing WRONG with a purebred cat, I was just pointing out that you could get what you desired at a shelter as well.

If you decide to go with a purebred then that's great. Please just research the breeder carefully. There are SO many backyard breeders who sell subpar look alikes of wonderful breeds. Be sure they are affiliated with a known feline organization, research all their claims, and they should provide an extensive contract.

I agree that you are incredibly articulate for your age and good on you for doing all the research on your new little furkid.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gatos View Post
Are 16 year olds supposed to have spelling errors and write horridly? I was writing college papers at age 17! If I was her, I would be offended by your comment!
There is light years of difference between how a 16 year old will write in a chat room/forum and how they would write a paper for school.

I'm quite impressed with our new member as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
Cat

My experience is a Siamese is a cat that is extremely dependent of its human. Demands to be held. They are chatty too.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
crazyismycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #28 (permalink)
Cat

I have a 12.5 weeks old Ragdoll kitten, and I think he fits the general Ragdoll expectation. He loves his humans. He does not like sitting on laps though because humans are too warm for him, and he's got a lot of fur! But he does sleep under my chair when I am at the computer, next to my husband's pillow at night, he follows me around everywhere I go around the house. He is loving, and always wants to play and sleep right next to you.

As a kitten he needs a lot of quality play time, loves any toys we get for him, and needs someone to play with him. So remember that you need to dedicate at least an hour a day of play time (for me right now it is more than that). I brought mine over to meet my niece and nephew, and he was a bit shy at first.. Kids need to be taught how to play with cats. Once I told them to stop chasing the poor kitten and allow him to chase you (or better yet dangle a toy on a string or even a simple shoe lace for him), kids started to play nice with him, and he was happily running around and playing. So my Ragdoll is great with kids. He needs his quiet time as well, he sleeps 75% of day time it seems, so make sure you have this quiet time opportunity at home.

If you are ready for this commitment, and your family supports you, than go for it!
purr machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyismycat View Post
My experience is a Siamese is a cat that is extremely dependent of its human. Demands to be held. They are chatty too.
My siamese is exactly the same! Definitely more like a dog than a cat, though only to me. Seems like a one person cat- he'll tolerate my husband, but cries when I am not around (so I'm told..).
Apocrypha428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree with those that have indicated that it's not the breed of cat but the personality of the individual that you need to assess. Yes, there are breeds that tend to be more snuggly, but there are always exceptions. If you really want a kitten then choosing one of those breeds will more likely get you the lap cat you want. But there's the risk that you won't get what you want at all.

If you're open to getting an adult, you will be able to choose one with the personality you want. Then you can decide whether you want a purebred or domestic. Which will lead you to the type of place to adopt from...shelter, a general rescue, a breed rescue organization or a retiree from a reputable breeder.

It seems like you have it all planned out, but have your parents agreed? The reality is that your family will be taking care of your cat while you are in college, whether you're a 2 hour drive away or a 4 hour plane ride. Are they committed to caring for it, keeping it inside, paying for vet bills, are you on the same page regarding food? We often get young people here who are doing battle with the parent that hasn't embraced high quality nutrition.

My personal opinion is that you should wait. I feel it is unfair to the cat to get attached to you and then have you disappear for weeks or months at a time. Then when you finish school, possibly taking it out of the home it has been used to for 5-6 years and moving it to a new home...removing other people that it has become attached to from it's life (your mom, dad, brothers).

If you do decide to go ahead with a purebred cat (now or in the future), please be extremely careful to research the genetic issues the breed may have and what the breeder is doing to ensure those problems are not passed down their lines. We can help with what things may be red flags for breeders.

And last but not least...I vote for Maine Coons. Holly is extremely affectionate, follows me everywhere, wants to help with EVERYTHING I do, she's willing to be held...not just sit on my lap, but cuddled and snuggled and she's a goofball.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement