Looking for a "Lap Cat" Breed. Suggestions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Smile Looking for a "Lap Cat" Breed. Suggestions?

Hello. I'll be sixteen in April, and I've been waiting a very long time for a cat of my own, to keep inside with me. Our family cats are two moggies that we took off the hands of a friend, and they were raised being outdoors, so we let them be outside, and they come into the garage for shelter whenever the weather is too cold or yucky. They are very loved by all our family.

However, I've been wanting another cat, one to keep indoors, with me. I probably will actually get said kitten in the summer, so I won't have to be away for excessive time while they are young, because I know young cats need pretty much constant attention (I remember when ours were babies, haha). And I've admired some breeds for awhile, and was planning on getting a certain breed with certain characteristics that I desire, since all the cats we've had in my life have been rescues, and it is often kind of a coin flip as to how they will be. One of our cats, Luna, was extremely shy when we first got her, and I was afraid she would be a very unconfident cat. But she bloomed into a very personable, almost "polite" cat, and she never met a stranger. She greets everyone with a question mark tail and a very quiet meow. I really am looking for a breed with a docile, amiable temperament. We don't have any children under the age of eight years old in our house, and both of my brothers are very gentle with animals, so that isn't a concern for me. But I would prefer a cat that is not sensitive about being handled, because I do have young cousins/friends at my house sometimes, and I wouldn't want a cat that would get really freaked out about that. I want said cat to also be very cuddly, and like lap fungus, as some cats are described. I like a cat that will follow me around, want to be with me when I'm sleeping, and will enjoy being pet and being in my lap. Only one of our cats will sit in your lap, and it's only sometimes when she feels like it.

I understand completely that all cats are individuals, and there is no guarantee of the personality that I'm searching for. But I do know some breeds are more inclined to this sort of personality than others. Breeds that I've been researching a lot are the Ragdoll (probably my top choice) and the Birman (pretty similar), and I also like the Burmese and Tonkinese, and also the Scottish Fold, though I hear they are usually more towards the reserved and quiet side. I'd like to hear from some experienced breeders/cat parents out there. What breeds would you recommend for a person like me, and what are your thoughts? I am in highschool, so obviously I can't be home all day. I'm willing to take some time to brush fussy coats (I do that anyways for our two cats, which are longhairs), although a breed that needs to be thoroughly groomed daily, like the Persian, is probably not for me. We don't really have any other pets in the house (save a hamster that stays in it's cage), and there is almost always a person home, since my mom is a stay-at-home mom, and she homeschools my brothers. I am looking for a lap kitty, and a snuggle buddy that will seek a close bond with me.

Sorry for the novel; I will stop now. Breeders, cat owners, lets here it. What are your suggestions?

-Kyla Grace

Last edited by marie73; 01-06-2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: font
Kyla Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Birmans, as a rule, are very docile and friendly and like to be with their people. And, supposedly, their hair doesn't matt. Cinderella's hair did, but she was an exception. I think Birman or Ragdoll would be a great choice. Birmans tend to be smaller, in case size matters. Personally, I would love to have a big cat some day (an big, lovable orange boy maybe?).

There are lots of other breeds that would probably fit your criteria and I'm sure their owners will chime in.

Of course, you could go to a shelter or rescue and give a homeless kitty a wonderful life, too.....

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My first question is what will happen to the kitty when you go to college or move out of your parents house, get an allergic boyfriend or get married and have babies? Most apartment complexes don't allow pets without a large non-refundable fee or deposit and some established cats don't do well with toddlers around. Shelters are FULL of cats that are homeless because of these conditions and thousands are killed each year because they are no longer cute cuddly kittens. Having said that, please consider who will be responsible for the little guy if you are unable to keep him or if "life" gets in the way. Pets are a commitment - hopefully for life. A shelter will give you the opportunity to save a life and can give you guidance about which cats are snugglers and which are independent in nature. It's best not to depend on breed in every case.

Having said that, I've found that Himalayans are very loyal and loving to their one person. Lots of cat breeds fill that description, so I'm hoping lots of others will chime in too. I was just hoping to get you thinking long term.

Last edited by Marcia; 01-06-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Having said that, I've found that Himalayans are very loyal and loving to their one person. Lots of cat breeds fill that description, so I'm hoping lots of others will chime in too. I was just hoping to get you thinking long term.
I agree with everything you said, and I echo the joy of the Himmy!
Himalayans are so very people oriented, love to sit with you, on
you, sleep with you, etc. They also have charming personalities.
However, it's hard to tell them life has changed and you can't
spend time anymore. These next years are going to include many
changes, so make sure you have plans that INCLUDE this Velcro
kitty. There are few things that make me sadder than a cat whose
eyes tell you they're not ready to trust anyone again after such a
betrayal.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I would suggest going to your local shelter and telling them what you want. That's what I did with MowMow and found my furry little soul mate. I told them that I wanted a cat that would be a dog. Follow me around, want to sleep with me, and loved to cuddle.

They pointed me to the cats that fit that criteria and MowMow picked me.

It was win win,I got what I wanted and I saved a life that may have otherwise have been put down.

CF Sig by KrisMowBook, on Flickr
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

as a sub note: if you decide to get a kitty after reading everything we write, PLEASE get a committment from your parents or a trusted relative to take in the kitty if you can no longer do that after a few years! Good luck to you and the kitty!!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I think you'll find a great deal of breeds that are lap cat material. Likewise, you'll find tons of cats you can get for next to nothing - and save their life - that are also lap cat material from a shelter. Shelter cats can also be extremely beautiful, if that's something you're in it for. I've seen cats that look like Bengals, chocolate Burmese, other types of pointed cats as well many other very beautiful and unique looking cats in shelters.

Getting a cat based on breed is, IMO, a poor choice. Especially if you get a kitten, as their personality hasn't set yet and so you really won't know what you're getting. Excepting the breed standard is not always going to be what you end up with. If you do get one, it should be from a responsible breeder, meaning you'll be paying 800+ dollars and it should come with papers. If it is not at least that price and if it does not come with papers, you're wasting your time. You'd be paying a BYB for substandard kittens that may not even be a breed at all, and may be highly unsocialized due to growing up in an overcrowded environment. Not the type of places you want to support. You're not likely going to find a proper breeder in the paper or on Craigslist type listings, some breeds you may not even be able to find in your state.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 01-06-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Guys, I'm very aware of the changes in my life and the long-term commitment of a cat. I've had other pets that I took great care of all the way until they died of old age, and I know that some cats will live to be up to 20 years old. But thank you for making sure anyways - I've heard lots of stories of people who get and get rid of cats just like that, but that isn't me. I've always had pets in my life, and I've loved all of them, all the way to the end.

I'm not opposed to going to a shelter and picking out a kitty - I think a a shelter cat is a great option, and all my cats I've had have been shelter cats, and they have been great family pets. <3

I'm just trying to get lots of research on both sides of the spectrum first, before I go headlong into anything, shelter cat or breed. I think both are perfectly good options, as long as you're with the right people. I've seen shabby shelter cats as well as shabby breeder cats and it is very sad to see that. No matter which way I decide to go, health and long term commitment are my first concerns, of course.

In response to Marcia, cats are a part of my lifestyle, so I think if a guy was allergic, that would be an automatic no, haha My mom is a huge cat lover and so I know she would be more than happy to take care of a kitty for awhile, if I couldn't be around or something drastic happened that made me need to move away for awhile. Sending a pet to a shelter would never be an option for me, no matter what the circumstances.

Anyways, keep up the posts and opinions, I'd like to hear them all.

Last edited by marie73; 01-06-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Kyla Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I've never owned a purebred cat before, but from what I've researched I have to agree with you that a ragdoll or perhaps a ragamuffin would be a great choice, they're one of my breeds of choice, if I'm ever to consider buying a cat. But do consider a cat from the shelter, because like many people have said, the people at the shelter will know the cats, and help you make the right fit. They really just want to find the perfect home for all their kitties, just like any good breeder.

And if I may make a suggestion, you could always try going for an adult cat (like 1-5 years old, between that age bracket) instead of a kitten, especially one that may have been in the shelter for a bit longer, because they really appreciate you when you give them a furrever home, and they tend to become very loving, and attached to the people that have saved them and shown them love when they thought all hope was lost.

That's just another suggestion, but good luck in any choice you make! I hope you get that perfect fit!
Jakiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Sorry, I'm sure you have thought it all out carefully, and I truly mean
no offense. My concern is based solely in what I saw happen in my
own family. Just letting mom take care of kitty for several YEARS while
you go away to school or something is a far cry from dumping your love
in a shelter, but the cat is not going to understand your absence, even
though it will have a definite end and see you reunited. I inherited both
my sisters' dogs and birds when they left for college. I was 5 years old,
and the dogs said I just didn't measure up and were miserable for years.

Last edited by marie73; 01-06-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Desert Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement