Your opinion on breeders.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Your opinion on breeders..

Hey all,

I was reading a post by another member about getting 2 kittens from a breeder, and it really really upset me. Is it really necessary to breed cats? Aren't there enough cats who need homes without paying someone for creating even MORE cats? If you like a certain color/shape/size, do your research and find one at a shelter. There's a store near my house that sells puppies and kittens, and although I've never gone in there, every time I drive by the place I get upset. Kitten breeding is no different than puppy mills in my opinion. Every time you buy from a "Breeder" that's just one less shelter cat that gets adopted and one more reason for the breeder to keep popping out new and completely unnecessary kittens. Anyone care to share their opinions on the topic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm not sure what you have against breeders, or why people can't get a certain breed of cat if they want. Do you feel the same about dog breeders? And I guess every time a woman has a baby, there's an adoptable baby that doesn't get adopted, so that's wrong, too??

I've had a purebred cat (Cinderella). I didn't care about that fact, I got her for free from Craigslist (with papers). I've also adopted three moggies. If I want another purebred in the future, I'll get one. But I will make sure she's from a reputable breeder.

The cats in shelters? Lots of them are from people whose cats got pregnant, or they kicked their cats out, then they got pregnant, had kittens and they all ended up there. So shelters are full of the results of backyard breeders or unintentionally bred cats. Why does that make them more deserving of a good home?

The only problem I have with breeders are the bad ones. There are also bad shelters, who will let anyone take a cat home. Some without being fixed first.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

People buy from breeders because they want particular traits. Yes, there is an abundance of aniimals that need homes and will otherwise be killed due to lack of space in many shelters, but buying from a breeder is a rightful option they exercise and I don't think it is our place to blast them or judge motives. Just my humble opinion. My BIL traveled a thousand miles to get two German Shephard pups. They chose not to adopt for whatever reason. Not our place to say otherwise. I chose to adopt the otherwise unadoptable, but what other people do is not my concern although I will always try to educate or correct misconceptions about shelter animals.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

I personally believe it's unethical to breed cats purposely and, yes, I also believe childbirth to be unethical. There are too many cats and too many people already. Do we really need to add more?

I had nothing against breeders until I moved to my current apartment, where there are dozens of strays, ferals and abandoned cats inhabiting the alley. My partner and I have taken it into our own hands to care for these cats and eventually have all of them TNR'ed since no one else cares, the city least of all... Neither of us were really aware of cat overpopulation previously, hence we have two purebred cats (one Bengal, one Devon Rex) and, while we love them to pieces, we both agreed never to give money to a breeder ever again. How could we ever justify it? It would be beyond selfish when we can literally step outside and pick out a cat that will be just as special.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I will personally always adopt, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone the ability to know their cat's lineage and temperament of the parents if they so choose. Many breeders are very reputable and work hard to bring out the best traits in the breed.

I even hop into the breeding forum now and then and check things out. Even though I'd never buy from a breeder for a number of reasons (money being a large one) that doesn't mean I can't learn about the practices!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I don't post this to offend anyone, just posting to reply to the OP question: Is it really necessary to breed cats? Aren't there enough cats who need homes without paying someone for creating even MORE cats?

I have known people who would never buy used...Everything they own was bought new. So would this type of person want a 'used' animal? I doubt it.

Myself, I almost always buy 'used' and either repair or alter it to suit my needs. Almost all pets we have had in 37 yrs (including a monkey and an iguana) was a reject or abandoned animal that needed 'fixin' or just a safe home.

But that is us.....btw....for us we wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So you're all for the extinction of all purebred cats? For the loss of the diversity of breeds?

There is a huge difference between mills, backyard breeders and reputable breeders. I agree that I wouldn't not support a mill or BYB and believe there should be much stricter laws about breeding and selling animals. But to say there should be no breeding at all...that would just be wrong and would make me extremely sad.

Reputable breeders produce such a very small part of the cat population...that's not the place to focus efforts to address the problem of homeless cats. TNR, spay/neuter education, general education about our obligation to our pets, etc....those are ways to reduce the homeless pet population. Are you involved with a local shelter or rescue? If not, that's the place to start.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimiko View Post
I personally believe it's unethical to breed cats purposely and, yes, I also believe childbirth to be unethical. There are too many cats and too many people already. Do we really need to add more?
Funny how people who have already enjoyed the fruits of life are quick to say we have too many people!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have three cats. One is a pure bred which is an older retired breeder/show cat from a reputable breeder. Two are moggies for a rescue. Do I think breeding is wrong? I am not against it if its done properly from a reputable breeder who has done their research. I have a problem with ignorant byb who breed cats without paper(who could be moggies) and selling them for ridiculous amounts of money. People want certain breeds for certain looks/traits. The chance of finding a purebred at a shelter with papers (the only way to prove its purebred) is highly unlikely. I also agree that there is a cat over population problem but as someone else stated, that's from irresponsible pet owners not altering their cat and letting them roam. Extincting purebreds and only adopting moggies is not the answer. There will always be too many cats being out down for overpopulation. That said, I have fallen in love with the breed my purebred cat is and I will always have one. I also love to rescue so in the future I will buy from a reputable breeder and adopt from a rescue.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

When I got Yuki from her breeder I signed a contract stating she would be spayed, never declawed and would never be given to a shelter. I believe this is standard for a good breeder. I would think this practice would cut down on the numbers of byb's. I wanted a Bengal as the general personality traits were what I wanted in a pet and I seemed to have less allergy symptoms with them. just my 2 cents worth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread