Question for Cat Breeders! - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Visiting your kitty at one month old is most likely impossible. The kitten is too young for visiters and the nursing mom will get stressed. However, visiting at 2 months old should be acceptable, since kitten should be running around the house by then. I got to play with my cats at their breeders place when they were around 7-8 weeks old. But when I place my deposit (at that time the kitten were merely 2-3 weeks old), I'm only allowed to watch them through the glass door.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Emma Fae, did you contact the breeder? What did they tell you?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been having some trouble with my internet service.
I've heard back from the breeder, and I'll be able to little Gallagher in a few weeks time. The breeder was pretty firm, saying that she doesn't like visitors coming before they're 8 weeks old, because it could stress them out and compromise their immune systems. Sounds fair enough to me...but waiting is torture!

Quote:
This is absolutely something you should ask for, should have done before sending the deposit even. If a breeder ever told me no I couldn't visit I would not purchase a cat from them. They may want you to wait until first vet visit and vaccines are done but after that there shouldn't be any issue...just be sensitive to their time. I drove 2.5 hours each way to meet Holly at 6 weeks and check out the breeder. Then did the drive again at 12 weeks to pick her up.
Don't worry, I've done my homework :] I visited three breeders before picking the one I felt most comfortable with. The first breeder was horrible...the place was disgusting, smelled strongly of cat urine, and she had a lot of "accidental pregnancies" and inbreeding. I've met the mother and father of my kitten-to-be, and they both seem very healthy and happy. Her kittens get snapped up pretty quickly (Out of 13 kittens, two litters, only three are still available), so it would have been near impossible to meet my kitten before putting down a deposit.

Here are the latest pics of Gallagher. He looks like a little bat!
EmmaFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I do allow visitors, though most of my kittens fly to their new homes those who are local often visit weekly or bi-weekly.
My girls are not at all stressed by visitors, and we have hygiene rules before kittens can be touched.

I update my site with photos weekly as well so people can watch their kittens grow.
spotty cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Question for Cat Breeders!

I first saw Yuki when she was about 8 weeks old. That's when I met the whole family and spent time with all the kittens. It also gave the breeder a chance to get to know me. When Yuki snuggled in my hands I knew I'd found my baby The breeder actually encouraged visits before I could take her home at 16 weeks. She asked me to let her know as soon as I had chosen her name so she could start using it with her. When I took her home, the breeder gave me a little photo album with pics of her parents and litter mates as well as Yuki's baby pics. I thought that was a lovely touch

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
I first saw Yuki when she was about 8 weeks old. That's when I met the whole family and spent time with all the kittens. It also gave the breeder a chance to get to know me. When Yuki snuggled in my hands I knew I'd found my baby The breeder actually encouraged visits before I could take her home at 16 weeks. She asked me to let her know as soon as I had chosen her name so she could start using it with her. When I took her home, the breeder gave me a little photo album with pics of her parents and litter mates as well as Yuki's baby pics. I thought that was a lovely touch
Oh, that sounds amazing! My breeder was updating photos every week for a while, but then she sort of stopped :[ The mother killed two of her kittens, lay on top of them and smothered them in the night, and I think my breeder had a bit of a hard time with that.
I'll be able to visit in 17 days, and I am SO excited! I cannot wait to meet little Gallagher...and only a month after that, I can bring him home and introduce him to his big brother and sister :]
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Well, now I know why the breeder stopped uploading pictures.
The mother contracted a URI, and passed it on to all the kittens. Despite the breeders best efforts, the entire litter was lost.
I wish she could have told me when they first got sick, so that I might have been a bit prepared. At the same time, she probably had her hands full hand-feeding seven kittens, so I can't blame her not emailing. I just feel so bad for her. That must have been terrible to go through.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Horrible news. Poor little kitties. So sorry.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Question for Cat Breeders!

I'm sorry, that's so sad

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement