Anyone know difference between Ragamuffin n Ragdoll - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Anyone know difference between Ragamuffin n Ragdoll

I looked up difference in appearance and coloring, but I cannot find what the difference in personality is? Are they that similar that there is no difference, other than the fact that all cats may be different.

I was just curious as to there gentic make-up.
kittyglitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

They are supposed to have a similar personality/temperament. But as you correctly point out, a lot will depend on the individual cat. I have a purebred Ragdoll (Muffs), who hates to sit on laps, does not like to cuddle and most definitely does not go limp when held...indeed, she struggles and screams when anyone tries to hold her! On the other hand, she is very quiet and gentle, she will follow me around, and she likes to be in the same room with me. So, she has some, but not all, of the breed's reputed personality. I suspect the same can be said of most Ragdolls or Ragamuffins (or other breeds for that matter).
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

A ragdoll comes from Ann bakers founding cat Josephine. A ragamuffin is not the same as a ragdoll, its essentially a moggie you find in a shelter... It's a ragdoll mix so chances are it will have ragdoll personalities are the same as any mixed breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3furbabies View Post
A ragamuffin is not the same as a ragdoll, its essentially a moggie you find in a shelter... It's a ragdoll mix so chances are it will have ragdoll personalities are the same as any mixed breed.
Not true. The Ragamuffin is recognized by The Cat Fancier's Association, Inc. (CFA). Here's a link to their breed page. Scroll down and you WILL see Ragamuffin on the list. CFA Breeds You can also look up the Ragdoll, too.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Ragdolls and Ragamuffins both started out as moggies (like all cat breeds did, but some have been around as a breed longer than others) .
Basically I guess one could look at it that the Ragamuffins branched off from some of Ann Baker's Ragdolls from after the breed had split, with a group of breeders going their own way to get the Ragdolls recognized by the established cat fancy.
The Ragamuffins were developed from the IRCA Ragdolls and some other breeds in development. I think they have a bit more Persian in them?

Seems like i have heard that they tend to be even more laid back. but I'm sure it does vary between individuals. In any case the personalities are similar and if raised right, they tend to be friendly ,loyal cats, generally pretty laid back as adults, generally not very dominant to other cats. enjoy the company of their humans,
though not necessarily by sitting on laps. To be honest, many large, longhaired cats are not lap cats. and there are Ragdoll & Ragamuffin breeders who will tell you they often prefer to sit near you than on you.

I think the thing about Ragdolls going limp is often not true. but remember Baker was a very, ummmm , eccentric person, and said all sorts of odd stuff about Ragdolls. acting like they did not feel pain , that you could throw them across the room and they would not be hurt etc. and very weird claims about aliens and secret scientific experiments .

There is a site where the difference between Ragdolls and Ragamuffins and the history of the breeds has often been discussed including by some people who have been involved a long time in these breeds.

Last edited by marie73; 02-15-2013 at 10:08 PM.
maewkaew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maewkaew View Post
Ragdolls and Ragamuffins both started out as moggies (like all cat breeds did, but some have been around as a breed longer than others) .
Basically I guess one could look at it that the Ragamuffins branched off from some of Ann Baker's Ragdolls from after the breed had split, with a group of breeders going their own way to get the Ragdolls recognized by the established cat fancy.
The Ragamuffins were developed from the IRCA Ragdolls and some other breeds in development. I think they have a bit more Persian in them?

Seems like i have heard that they tend to be even more laid back. but I'm sure it does vary between individuals. In any case the personalities are similar and if raised right, they tend to be friendly ,loyal cats, generally pretty laid back as adults, generally not very dominant to other cats. enjoy the company of their humans,
though not necessarily by sitting on laps. To be honest, many large, longhaired cats are not lap cats. and there are Ragdoll & Ragamuffin breeders who will tell you they often prefer to sit near you than on you.

I think the thing about Ragdolls going limp is often not true. but remember Baker was a very, ummmm , eccentric person, and said all sorts of odd stuff about Ragdolls. acting like they did not feel pain , that you could throw them across the room and they would not be hurt etc. and very weird claims about aliens and secret scientific experiments .

There is a site where the difference between Ragdolls and Ragamuffins and the history of the breeds has often been discussed including by some people who have been involved a long time in these breeds.
Ann Baker was VERY eccentric. I just did a paper on Ragdolls and I discovered, in doing my research, that she inbred a lot of her cats...mothers to sons, fathers to daughters... She also claimed that her cat, Josephine was subjected to some kind of experimentation after having to stay at the vet after being hit by a car. Ms. Baker claimed that after the hospitalization, Josephine became very docile, would go limp when picked up, etc.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I totally disagree with ragamuffins I still believe its a mutt. That association recognizes anything. It's like saying. Golden doodle is a pure bred. A golden retriever was started out as a mix ages ago like ragdolls and now idiots are mixing a good dog with another purebred which is a mutt. This is what a ragamuffin is. It doesn't have characteristics of a ragdoll and you have a better chance of finding ragdoll qualities in a shelter cat.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

The Ragamuffin is a documented legitimate breed. You can disagree until the cows come home, but it's not going to change the fact that your belief is wrong.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Just because they somehow slipped through the cracks it doesn't make them a real breed. They look and act like a moggie, you have to be crazy to spend more than an adoption fee on one. May as well rescue a cat in need of a home off the street. Chances are they have more ragdoll in them than a ragamuffin.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

A breed is just a human construct people have placed on cats, so if people say they're a breed... they're a breed. It's really that simple. Everything starts out as a cross of other cats until it's refined to its own breed anyway. Some breeds don't take long to be recognised. The Ragdoll itself is only from the 60's, should we call it a mutt since its history isn't as extensive as the Siamese? And speaking of traits as an issue, that is an issue with all breeds, plenty of purebreds have absolutely no resembalnce to a breed standard. If the Goldendoodle is bred long enough by enough dedicated people, it could become a breed too.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement